Clams in a 20gallon?

jshep13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no clam expert, but I have a crocea clam in my 24 gallon tank. Been in there since October of 2020 and still doing great.

Attachments

• FC09CB9D-D61B-4E27-98F8-070549E299D0.jpeg
    FC09CB9D-D61B-4E27-98F8-070549E299D0.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 111

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maxima or crocea would be fine, but you'll need to make sure there's plenty of light and stable conditions. If you can successfully keep sps in your tank, then you're on the right track. If you haven't done so already, I would buy a couple books on clams, Daniel Knop and James Fatherree both have great books.
How old is your tank and what lighting do you have?

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima or crocea would be fine, but you'll need to make sure there's plenty of light and stable conditions. If you can successfully keep sps in your tank, then you're on the right track. If you haven't done so already, I would buy a couple books on clams, Daniel Knop and James Fatherree both have great books.
How old is your tank and what lighting do you have?
I'm still in the research phase, just seeing what kind of options I have!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whatever you decide, make sure that you have plenty of par on tap when choosing a light. Both species are found in shallow waters and prefer bright full spectrum daylight. In fact, “blue” light really makes clams look dull.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a crocea in a 28g tank for years prior to it moving to a 210g. Crocea is your best bet as they stay smaller. Just make sure to provide it with the Mg, Ca, and Alk it needs to stay healthy. Light is super important of course.

Get a baby, captive bred one. It will do fine with all the above covered.

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a couple of tridacna in 20 gal long, it did well, but with a lot of phytoplankton feeding had algae growth on their shells. Then flow was disagreeable they detached and moved in search of better spot.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a couple of tridacna in 20 gal long, it did well, but with a lot of phytoplankton feeding had algae growth on their shells. Then flow was disagreeable they detached and moved in search of better spot.
Feeding clams phyto is unnecessary, but you can feed the whole tank as a way to boost pod growth and the food chain. Clams do need a source of nitrogen, but they can get that from you feeding the fish, stirring up detritus, etc.

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feeding clams phyto is unnecessary, but you can feed the whole tank as a way to boost pod growth and the food chain. Clams do need a source of nitrogen, but they can get that from you feeding the fish, stirring up detritus, etc.
Yes I agree. I feed my corals and other filter feeders and the food eventually gets to my clam. I know it is eating because I can see it’s mouth opening wider when the food is present in the water.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a low concentration of AB+ be enough to supplement their food needs? I’m still in the research and lower parameter stage but since I already feed my main tank AB+, I figured it could be an easy way around the phyto/nitrogen bit.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would a low concentration of AB+ be enough to supplement their food needs? I’m still in the research and lower parameter stage but since I already feed my main tank AB+, I figured it could be an easy way around the phyto/nitrogen bit.
They actually have stomachs and gills to filter food/particles. I don’t think aminos and carbs will do much for them as a nitrogen source, as the mantle full of zooxanthellae produces all that they need. But the food you feed your fish will help. Clams are very particular about the food they consume, which can be random.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back