Clams, The Best Food For your Tank

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams, the absolute best food for salt water fish

The title says it all. If I could only feed one type of food, it would be regular, common, cheap, (near the coasts of the US) available, clams.
I myself feed clams almost every day to all my fish and have been since the 60s. Virtually all the fish eat it, that includes mandarins, pipefish, queen anthius, moorish Idols etc. All invertabrates also eat it such as crabs, urchins, shrimp, anemones and coral.
Not only do they eat it, but it is probably the best thing they can eat just short of eating tiny fish which are hard to come by in the quantities we need. I have spoken to fish food manufacturers about this but aparantly they are unavailable to them to make fish food out of which is surprising as the sea is loaded with them.
Another great thing about feeding clams is that as the fish are chewing them, tiny pieces and juices come off and spread around the tank feeding the corals and filter feeders. I have never directly fed my corals, the clams do that for me. The microscope particles also feed the pods, and I want as many pods as I can get. My tank is always filled with them which is how I am able to keep so many mandarins, pipefish, scooter bleenies etc.
I copied this from an online source of shellfish nutrition:
5. Shellfish
Out of all the wonderfully nutritious organisms found in the sea, shellfish may be the most nutritious of all. Commonly consumed types of shellfish include clams, oysters and various others.
Clams are among the best sources of vitamin B12 in existence, with a 100 grams of clams supplying over 16 times the RDA! It is also loaded with other nutrients, including Vitamin C, B-Vitamins, Potassium, Selenium and Iron (25).
Oysters are also incredibly nutritious… with a 100 grams supplying 6 times the RDA for Zinc, 2 times the RDA for Copper, along with large amounts of B12 and Vitamin D - along with a plethora of other nutrients (26). Really, shellfish are among the most nutritious foods in existence. Unfortunately, people rarely consume them.
I buy the biggest clams I can find and here in New York the bigger clams are the cheapest which is good news. I get the clams live and freeze them myself. Usually I buy them for myself to make clam chowder out of and I keep some for the fish. A large chowder clam, about 4" long will last me a week or two as I also feed other things. A clam of that size is less than fifty cents.
After the clam is frozen, I shave off paper thin slices depending on what I am feeding.

Most fish can handle a rather large piece of clam if it is shaved very thin, copperbands especially love this food and try very hard to smile while they are eating them but the shape of their mouth makes it difficult for them.
When we feed clams we are feeding an entire animal, organs and all and being clams are filter feeders, their organs are loaded with the things fish are supposed to eat. If we feed table shrimp, fish fillets, octopus, scallop or squid, we are just feeding the muscle which is the least nutritious parts of those creatures. We as humans eat those parts, but fish need the guts.
Most of us also feed mysis and that is not a bad food but most of the frozen mysis we can buy are shell and that shell is not calcium and is not digestable so it just goes to waste. Looking closely at a single mysis you can see more shell than anything else but a clam is all nutrition and will keep your fish in spawning mode. If you keep a natural tank, and if you can get your clams fresh, it will also keep your fish immune.
I eat them all the time myself which Is why I seem to be immune.

Last edited:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The title says it all. If I could only feed one type of food, it would be regular, common, cheap, (near the coasts of the US) available, clams.
I myself feed clams almost every day to all my fish and have been since the 60s. Virtually all the fish eat it, that includes mandarins, pipefish, queen anthius, moorish Idols etc. All invertabrates also eat it such as crabs, urchins, shrimp, anemones and coral.
Not only do they eat it, but it is probably the best thing they can eat just short of eating tiny fish which are hard to come by in the quantities we need. I have spoken to fish food manufacturers about this but aparantly they are unavailable to them to make fish food out of which is surprising as the sea is loaded with them.
Another great thing about feeding clams is that as the fish are chewing them, tiny pieces and juices come off and spread around the tank feeding the corals and filter feeders. I have never directly fed my corals, the clams do that for me. The microscope particles also feed the pods, and I want as many pods as I can get. My tank is always filled with them which is how I am able to keep so many mandarins, pipefish, scooter bleenies etc.
5. Shellfish
Out of all the wonderfully nutritious organisms found in the sea, shellfish may be the most nutritious of all. Commonly consumed types of shellfish include clams, oysters and various others.
Clams are among the best sources of vitamin B12 in existence, with a 100 grams of clams supplying over 16 times the RDA! It is also loaded with other nutrients, including Vitamin C, B-Vitamins, Potassium, Selenium and Iron (25).
Oysters are also incredibly nutritious… with a 100 grams supplying 6 times the RDA for Zinc, 2 times the RDA for Copper, along with large amounts of B12 and Vitamin D - along with a plethora of other nutrients (26). Really, shellfish are among the most nutritious foods in existence. Unfortunately, people rarely consume them.
I buy the biggest clams I can find and here in New York the bigger clams are the cheapest which is good news. I get the clams live and freeze them myself. Usually I buy them for myself to make clam chowder out of and I keep some for the fish. A large chowder clam, about 4" long will last me a week or two as I also feed other things. A clam of that size is less than fifty cents.
After the clam is frozen, I shave off paper thin slices depending on what I am feeding.

Most fish can handle a rather large piece of clam if it is shaved very thin, copperbands especially love this food and try very hard to smile while they are eating them but the shape of their mouth makes it difficult for them.
When we feed clams we are feeding an entire animal, organs and all and being clams are filter feeders, their organs are loaded with the things fish are supposed to eat. If we feed table shrimp, fish fillets, octopus, scallop or squid, we are just feeding the muscle which is the least nutritious parts of those creatures. We as humans eat those parts, but fish need the guts.
Most of us also feed mysis and that is not a bad food but most of the frozen mysis we can buy are shell and that shell is not calcium and is not digestable so it just goes to waste. Looking closely at a single mysis you can see more shell than anything else but a clam is all nutrition and will keep your fish in spawning mode. If you keep a natural tank, and if you can get your clams fresh, it will also keep your fish immune.

This is great Paul! Thanks for writing this :) I'll try clams in the future

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own homemade shellfish delight based on reading your posts in the past.

I head down to the May river sea food dock and grab a dozen each of clams, oysters, and mussels.

Shuck, freeze, chop, serve

Haven’t lost a fish to disease yet (except ones I bought and tried to save that were already sick)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5. Shellfish

Paul,
You already convinced me on feeding bivalves live without freezing. I prefer live mussels which I can purchase at HEB seafood counter. Because I only buy a dozen at a time, they last 7 days in refrigerator. When the seafood manager asked me why I bought so few mussels, considering a cost of < $0.10 each, I showed him a video of them being feed to my reef tank. It made his day. I find mussels & oysters have larger gut cavity for a healthy dose of live bacteria for enhanced immune system response. So, I reserve clams for me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the useful info Paul ;). So basically I go and buy some fresh clams/oysters and freeze them after but what about pre-packed frozen clams/oysters? Would there be any risk of unwanted chemicals/preservatives from the frozen packs? Thanks a bunch!

Fresh is better because we want the live bacteria in the shellfish but if all you can get is pre packaged, thats what you have to get. Live is great but many people don't have access to them and fresh frozen is very easy to shave. I also feed fresh if I have enough on hand.
I doubt they add any preservatives in frozen clams.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found this while researching. It came from "The Paleo Diet" which is probably not the most scientific of research organizations but I am pretty sure the list of nutrients was devised by some Government source. (or PeeWee Hermans diary)
Of course these values are for people.

"The Paleo Diet"

Clams: A variety of edible clams are out there (hard-shell, soft-shell, razor clams, and surf clams, just to name a few!), and they tend to be particularly high in vitamin B12, selenium, iron, and manganese. That makes them excellent for nerve and blood cell health, treating or preventing iron-deficiency anemia, protecting against cellular damage, forming connective tissue and sex hormones, and supporting carbohydrate and fat metabolism. Each 100 grams of cooked clams (mixed species) contains:

• 148 calories (2 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbohydrate, and 26 grams of protein)
  • 396 mg of omega-3 fats
  • 1648% of the RDA for vitamin B12
  • 91% of the RDA for selenium
  • 155% of the RDA for iron
  • 37% of the RDA for vitamin C
  • 50% of the RDA for manganese
  • 34% of the RDA for phosphorus
  • 18% of the RDA for potassium
  • 18% of the RDA for zinc
  • 34% of the RDA for copper
  • 10% of the RDA for thiamin
  • 25% of the RDA for niacin
  • 11% of the RDA for vitamin A
  • Smaller amounts (between 4 and 9%) of the RDA for vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, calcium, and sodium

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on a 3” Regal angel and oyster on half shell is the only thing he eats at the moment. I also keep quite a few angels and I feed a clam a day to them. The copperband swallows big pieces of clam which shocked me the first time I saw it. Shellfish is definitely a good food source for ornamental fish.

jisc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s easy access to oysters and clams where I live. Do I need to rinse them in freshwater before feeding to tank?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shellfish is definitely a good food source for ornamental fish.
So, What! You didn't believe me? :cool: If everyone fed the correct foods there would be no need for disease threads but I know they are the meat of these forums, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Do I need to rinse them in freshwater before feeding to tank?
Think about that for a moment. Does anyone rinse them in the sea for them. :D
Don't rinse, give the fish the bacteria that they need and forget the rumors that fish need to be sterile, coddled, dipped, medicated, hugged and read to. :)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a rather large dogfaced puffer. I used to feed him mussels and clams all the time. One time I managed to get a few rather small clams, and fed them by just dropping them straight in the tank. Watching him happily crush the shell, fight his way in, and madly devour them was quite a treat. He was definitely smiling. Good for his teeth too!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B: if you are freezing them first -doesn't that kill the beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it kills some of them. But your house freezer doesn't get as cold as a commercial freezer so it doesn't kill most of the bacteria. You can tell because if you freeze a clam in a sealed container, then put it on your counter for a few days. When you open it, you will have to move out and sell that house because the still living bacteria in that clam will stink to high Heaven.
That reminds me of a clam story. Many years ago I was at my cousins house way out on Long Island when Long Island was a desolate wasteland.
We went clamming and had a couple of bushels of clams in his 1955 Oldsmobile.

He forgot about the clams and took his other car back to Brooklyn. It was summertime and the temp was in the 90s.
The next week we could only approach that Oldsmobile to maybe fifty yards. He had to junk it and the junk guy didn't want to take it. There is nothing quite like the smell of rotting clams.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back