Clams won’t grow

  • Thread starter Thread starter spsick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2018
Messages
2,277
Reaction score
2,773
Location
Mpls, MN
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had a Derasa for years that grew fast to 6” or so that up and stopped growing about a year ago. It opens fine and seems happy. I added a small maxima a couple months ago that has also not grown. I our him right up top on top of the turbinaria getting 500 PAR.

I for certain do not have pyramid snails.

I have 20+ species of Acropora thriving. Is it possible they are outcompeting the clams for some element or nutrients?

Last ICP test was almost perfect (I’ll link in next post).

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/215970
Lots of light from 6x T5 bulbs plus an LED strip.

1741536061935.jpeg
 

Attachments

Last edited:
How often are you feeding your tank? Clams do need nitrogen and phosphorus, so you might have to feed your fish a little more throughout the day or broadcast feed some coral food. Clams have stomachs, so they can consume food and absorb nutrients directly from the water. Add some particulate food and maybe some ammonium bicarbonate as a nitrogen source and see how they react.
Nice tank!
 
How often are you feeding your tank? Clams do need nitrogen and phosphorus, so you might have to feed your fish a little more throughout the day or broadcast feed some coral food. Clams have stomachs, so they can consume food and absorb nutrients directly from the water. Add some particulate food and maybe some ammonium bicarbonate as a nitrogen source and see how they react.
Nice tank!

Hey thanks!

I am feeding a lot, pellet throughout the day and 2
Cube size pieces of Reef Frenzy every night.

I was dosing ammonium bicarbonate but hit saturation and my tank has been at 15-20ppm since I stopped dosing. I do have to dose phosphate to maintain .03-.08ppm
 
Hey thanks!

I am feeding a lot, pellet throughout the day and 2
Cube size pieces of Reef Frenzy every night.

I was dosing ammonium bicarbonate but hit saturation and my tank has been at 15-20ppm since I stopped dosing. I do have to dose phosphate to maintain .03-.08ppm
Yeah, that’s more than enough nitrogen input. Maybe try a particulate food like Tropic Marin phos-feed?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new