Clarification on the Green Chromis

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly but steadily stocking my new 40B. The only fishy inhabitants so far is a pair of teenaged maroon clowns. I've also got a skunk cleaner, a small CU crew, and 50 lbs of live rock + hitchhikers.

Next up I have my eye on some Green Chromis, which I think would fit in with where I'm going (smaller fish for a reef-safe community) and add some color. I know GCs are schooling, so I'll need a group. Would three be okay in a 40 gallon, or would they need more room? Or would the group need to be bigger? The advice on fishlore, etc seems to be murky on exactly what is best for them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
3-5 is good BUT. . . one caution:
Examine them well for normal breathing, any skin abrasions which leads to uronema and ask to see them eat.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 is good BUT. . . one caution:
Examine them well for normal breathing, any skin abrasions which leads to uronema and ask to see them eat.
100% Agree.
I have 6 blue green going on 1.5 years now.
Also note they grow fast.
My convict tang keeps them inline.

OP
OP
sherb

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - it's only 40 gallons, so it seems easy to get stuck with a de facto species tank as the fish grow and I want to avoid that. I'm after a variety of smaller fish.

@vetteguy53081 said "ask to see them eat" - are they picky eaters, or is there a specific food they do best with?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Right - it's only 40 gallons, so it seems easy to get stuck with a de facto species tank as the fish grow and I want to avoid that. I'm after a variety of smaller fish.

@vetteguy53081 said "ask to see them eat" - are they picky eaters, or is there a specific food they do best with?
Theyre hardy. If not eating, may denote an issue. Just assure theyre eating in general

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a school of 5 about a week ago for my 55 gal, very fun fish, they have plenty of room and tons of fun to watch. When I went to the LFS they had a few tanks of chromis and I’d have to agree with watching them. A few seemed to be breathing rapidly or even had some noticeable scale issues. I found this to be a common theme among chromis. The guy that I normally get fish from also said get 1-2 over what you ultimately want to have in the tank long term because as a “pecking order” is established you can lose 1-2 of them. I don’t know how true that is though

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with at least 5. I would try to feed at least 2x a day or they might pick each other off.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hear of people having problems with keeping Chromis alive. In my experience they need to be treated like anthias in terms of feeding, doing this I never lost one for years. They are a very high energy fish that for some reason is never mentioned does best with multiple feedings per day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back