Clarisea SK-5000 fleece binding

TimS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been running the same sk-5000 for the past 4+ years and had the fleece pulling quit hard. There is absolutely no binding on the fleece supply side. The problem seems to originate with the two white rollers, at the bottom of the filter chamber. So far I've had to replace the cruciform once (original fractured from the constant torque). Several weeks ago the motor stopped turning even with load. I then disassembled the motor unit and discovered that a tooth on one gear in the transmission had fractured off and was caught between the two adjacent gears. I have reassembled but the binding issue remains. I can temporarily reduced the fleece tension by pulling back and forth between the clean and dirty sides of the fleece (drops the pulling tension and resolves the issue) but in several hours the binding has increased to the point where the motor stops and the alarm sounds. Anyone experience this?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my own fleece roller and had the same thing happen. I changed out the guide rollers in the bottom of the water chamber with threaded nylon rods to reduce the drag the fleece has on the rollers. Now the fleece rides on the top of the threads. In theory, you would think the rollers would just turn but I found they do not always rotate and the fleece drags across them, which creates enough drag to overload the small advance motors. Probably the condition that broke a tooth in the gears.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back