Clarisea sk 5000 motor replacement diy kinda sorta

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few years ago my sk 5000 motor bit the dust and I took it apart just to see what the deal was, I ordered a new motor from Ecotech, and have replaced it two more times over the years. It’s about seventy-five bucks a pop. Now that I have no life and am trying to fiddle with stuff again, I decided to try and fix that old motor from years back. I found, don’t ask me how it was a real pain, something on Amazon with similar measurements. It’s a greartisan twelve volt, five rpm, 37 millimeter gear reduction motor. Just in case anyone wants to tackle this project, that motor is just a smidge too long. The measurements in the details must not have included the contacts or motor bearing that sticks out the back. It’s just about three sixteenths too long. So, probably get the next smaller motor. For fifteen bucks it was worth a shot. Anyway, I got it to work and this motor is much, much stronger than the original. Well, at day one it is, time will tell. So, for any first and second Gen owners out there that have an old dead motor and want to make it work just for fun and a few bucks, it can be done but try it with the next size smaller motor than I got

aggieoil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do - i'm very interested if there is a fix other than purchasing a new motor every 12 months as that's about the cadence i'm seeing on my dual clarisea sump

ivan456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is the motor you need... just ordered it and will report back.

Jus got this exact motor and it worked. Only think is it spins the opposite way wen u wire it correctly so i jus got it rollering a diff way but i assume if i wire it opposite it’ll work jus fine. But Ty lol it was $17 bucks shipped to my door

Travi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you guys taking the motor out of the roller housing and if so, how are you opening the housing?

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys taking the motor out of the roller housing and if so, how are you opening the housing?
The motor is bolted on by the shaft by Allen bolts. The rear cap where the wires are is glued in. You can see the seam where the cap is pressed into the main housing. Mine had three dabs of glue holding them together. I used a knife blade to cut the glue along the seam and then a couple small flat screwdrivers to work the cap off.

edit. There is another post that has a link to the motor on Amazon. The ones I got were higher torque, reduced rpm and were just about 1/8” too long but I was able to make it work

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The motor is bolted on by the shaft by Allen bolts. The rear cap where the wires are is glued in. You can see the seam where the cap is pressed into the main housing. Mine had three dabs of glue holding them together. I used a knife blade to cut the glue along the seam and then a couple small flat screwdrivers to work the cap off.

edit. There is another post that has a link to the motor on Amazon. The ones I got were higher torque, reduced rpm and were just about 1/8” too long but I was able to make it work
Do you have a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it.

I found the motor you described on Amazon but I don't see a shorter option.

pendraegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to that thread? I can't seem to find it.

I found the motor you described on Amazon but I don't see a shorter option.
I don't see the links at all on any of these posts. Mine died, looks like no replacement motors in US stores so shipping is ridiculous. Cables aren't shorted or detached so I don't know what else to do but replace it.

pendraegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I got the same motor... how were you able to get it to work? There is no way I'm getting the cap back on with this motor

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back