CLARISEA SX-5000 Fleece filter roll cleaning.

Jremdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for many years after owning a Saltwater only fish store back in the early 90's. I got the bug again when I found an adult Hawaiian Dragon that needed a new home. Poor thing was in a 110 gal mixed reef tank. I dusted off my 500 gal tank that I kept from my store about 6 weeks ago. The technology has changed quite a bit. I've already bought an Apex and 2 Clarisea SX-5000. Love love love the roller filters. So I went through the 2 rolls relatively quick and my LFS was out of replacements. I went online to see if anyone was cleaning the fleece material and much to my surprise NOTHING. I then took the dirty (very dirty) roll spun it off the motor stuffed it in a linen bag and threw it in a front loading washing machine (speed wash, extra spin and rinse) with a half cup of bleach. Before running the cycle I did a rinse cycle to remove soap residue. The roll came out white as snow. I then soaked it in a bucket of RO water with a bunch of Prime then rinse only and spin again. Then sun dried the fleece. Rolled it back on a roll and it's working like a champ. I'll have to figure out how many washes the fleece can handle. I'm just putting it out there to see if anyone else has tried this. If so let me know your experiences. Hoping to get 4 or 5 washes. Nice cost savings.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never even thought of washing it, but mine it 65 metres long so would be a pain to roll back up!

OP
OP
J

Jremdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ClariSea roll is 137 ft long, it took about 5 min to roll it up. I could not get it as tight on the roll like when it was new but it doesn't seem to matter. So far it is working like a champ no snags.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That's interesting. Just like washing socks.

I too wonder how many times can you wash it.

OP
OP
J

Jremdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. Just like washing socks.

I too wonder how many times can you wash it.
The material is quite strong. If you think about it let's say the 20 micron fleece degrades slightly with each wash that would mean the flow rate would increase but compared to 200 micron socks you are still way ahead of the game. Additionally when the fleece is exposed to tank water it will clog and clean better. The float switch is designed around flow restriction this means the fleece must get to the same blockage rate to advance just like a new roll. If any degradation is occurring with the washing and bleach it will just make the roll last longer. I'm measuring the rate of advancement of my 2 5000's one with the fresh roll and one with the washed roll the preliminary measuring data is showing the washed fleece is running slightly slower. The new roll is running 48" in 24 hours and the washed roll is running 45" in 24 hours. If there is an interest I can make this a more exact data gathering and reporting experiment. I have my second roll washed and ready to be rolled. I sun dried this one to naturally remove the chlorimines. I'll use the smell test to see if I need to use prime and re-dry.

Attachments

• 16316590809344705849522922742922.jpg
    16316590809344705849522922742922.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 16316591154665125832723463247788.jpg
    16316591154665125832723463247788.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 223

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was washing bubble magus rolls, but after a few washes they became flimsy and would get pushed through the holes of the roller allowing stuff to get through. So I stopped doing it.

OP
OP
J

Jremdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about 5 min to roll up. Had the wife keep it tight this time, the first roll I did solo. Again the material is quite strong.
I was washing bubble magus rolls, but after a few washes they became flimsy and would get pushed through the holes of the roller allowing stuff to get through. So I stopped doing it.
Well even a couple washes would be better than 30 bucks a month (for me 60 a month I have 2 going). Not sure if Bubble Magnus roll material is different or not. I have read that the ClariSea filters go down to a lower micron than the other roll filter manufacturers.

Attachments

• 20210914_161016.jpg
    20210914_161016.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20210914_161022.jpg
    20210914_161022.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 220

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about 5 min to roll up. Had the wife keep it tight this time, the first roll I did solo. Again the material is quite strong.

Well even a couple washes would be better than 30 bucks a month (for me 60 a month I have 2 going). Not sure if Bubble Magnus roll material is different or not. I have read that the ClariSea filters go down to a lower micron than the other roll filter manufacturers.
I wonder if you can get a nicer tube to roll it up on again. instead of Carboard.

Keithk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now washed my fleece roll 11 times now. The problem I run into, is the more I wash it, the more the 8 hour alarm goes off on my clarasea 3000. But I just reset it in the morning and the fleece get just as dirty as if it was new. Just takes longer. I know get about 8 weeks out of a roll. And I have save, buying 11 rolls

The Giz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bubble Magus ARF-M and the roller size is slightly smaller than the clarisea, I've 3D printed a simple unit to assist rolling up once cleaning of the rolls is performed, if anyone is interested can post on thingeverse. Also created a 3D printed roller spooler if someone would like just that, again these are design for the bubble magus but happy to share in anyone is interested

Attachments

• roller_spooler.jpg
    roller_spooler.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG-4962.jpg
    IMG-4962.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 176

deliabiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bubble Magus ARF-M and the roller size is slightly smaller than the clarisea, I've 3D printed a simple unit to assist rolling up once cleaning of the rolls is performed, if anyone is interested can post on thingeverse. Also created a 3D printed roller spooler if someone would like just that, again these are design for the bubble magus but happy to share in anyone is interested
Hi, I am am interested in your rolling unit design.
I have use before the SK 5000 then I quit - to expensive, now when I found that people are washing the rolls I installed again.
I use the roller on a Discus tank (freshwater) and are like pigs - one roll 2-3 weeks
If I can wash them few times than should be better

The Giz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am am interested in your rolling unit design.
I have use before the SK 5000 then I quit - to expensive, now when I found that people are washing the rolls I installed again.
I use the roller on a Discus tank (freshwater) and are like pigs - one roll 2-3 weeks
If I can wash them few times than should be better
Ya, I wash per the instructions on this thread, I put them first into a 5 gallon bucket with about 2 caps of Bleach to clean, leave in there for a day or 2 and then add to a Delicates bag (large net washing bag for washing machines) you should get in any homestore, and rinse about 2 - 3 times. I can add the files to Thingverse let me know and I can send you the link

deliabiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I wash per the instructions on this thread, I put them first into a 5 gallon bucket with about 2 caps of Bleach to clean, leave in there for a day or 2 and then add to a Delicates bag (large net washing bag for washing machines) you should get in any homestore, and rinse about 2 - 3 times. I can add the files to Thingverse let me know and I can send you the link
Hi. I managed to clean the roll and it looks like new. if is possible to get the files for the roller/spooler will be perfect.

deliabiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a way to roll it more efficient. One problem that I have is that it looks that the fleece is getting thinner and is leaking on the sides

Back