Classroom Nano Tank

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I am a new reefer and have had a tank for over a year now. I recently have become interested in nano tanks. I am also a high school science teacher. I thought it would be fun to bring the reef into the class room. I have a 10 gal. tank that was just sitting around. I cleaned it up, added rock and sand and began to cycle. I am letting the students take ownership over the tank by choosing what goes into it (with my guidance of course). I thought It would also be fun to track the progress, successes, failures, and learning opportunities here. I will add some pictures in the next post. Hope you all enjoy this as much as the kids have so far!

RK

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't believe in a paddle lol. Glad you are following. I am going to try to get the kids to give some feedback/write ups as well. I really what this to be a learning experience.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic idea. so what do you teach, biology? would be super cool to look at the microscopic marine life under a scope. I know that seeing life under a scope opened my eyes to a whole other world... but that wasn't until college. if only i'd seen it sooner.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic idea. so what do you teach, biology? would be super cool to look at the microscopic marine life under a scope. I know that seeing life under a scope opened my eyes to a whole other world... but that wasn't until college. if only i'd seen it sooner.

I actually teach the physical science classes. Physics and chemistry.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised a picture of the tank and aqua scape. I did make some changes after this was taken, but it is a start. One of the leading choices for fish types at the moment is the fire fish. They are among my favorites as well. I also picked up some palys and zoas at the local reef club frag swap last weekend too for the tank. I am hoping to put in a couple frags and some fish in by the end of next week. The kids do all agree that they want a snail named Gary. Any suggestions for a special type of snail that would be a good snail for this special member of the cleaning crew?

IMG_0070.jpg

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised a picture of the tank and aqua scape. I did make some changes after this was taken, but it is a start. One of the leading choices for fish types at the moment is the fire fish. They are among my favorites as well. I also picked up some palys and zoas at the local reef club frag swap last weekend too for the tank. I am hoping to put in a couple frags and some fish in by the end of next week. The kids do all agree that they want a snail named Gary. Any suggestions for a special type of snail that would be a good snail for this special member of the cleaning crew?

IMG_0070.jpg
Astrea or Margarita snail

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I am a new reefer and have had a tank for over a year now. I recently have become interested in nano tanks. I am also a high school science teacher. I thought it would be fun to bring the reef into the class room. I have a 10 gal. tank that was just sitting around. I cleaned it up, added rock and sand and began to cycle. I am letting the students take ownership over the tank by choosing what goes into it (with my guidance of course). I thought It would also be fun to track the progress, successes, failures, and learning opportunities here. I will add some pictures in the next post. Hope you all enjoy this as much as the kids have so far!

RK
Excellent! There are several teachers on here with classroom tanks. @Mr.Asbury @James Hammett might be a good resource for you. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Teach them to stock slowly, how to do a water test/testing, the game of patience by stocking slowly and the game of research by researching what specimens are being considered and why.

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see another tank going into a classroom! I think patience is the lesson we've spent the most time on in my room haha. There's an endless possibility of the topics you can cover with a reef tank, however. I'd be happy to share resources, tips, & tricks for using them in the room. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our first pets! I have added 4 snails and 2 corals to the tank. Everything looks good and healthy. I also got a small beta tank on my desk and they seem more interested in the fish. Hopefully next week we can add our first fish. I do have a question for those of you with more experience than I. I run actinic lighting at home and when I set this tank up I used a white light because of the price. The corals look much more dull under the white light. Is it worth the upgrade to get an LED that I can control the spectrum with for this nano tank? The LFS has one for around $115. Thought?

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled it for about a week to ten days. Started with dry rock and added a LOT of nitrifying bacteria daily with some ghost feeding. I also use an ammonia indicator on the side of the tank and check the NO3 with test strips. Everything is running great in that regard.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun! great little tank for you...umm I mean the kidos...
I think a shrimp or two would be great in that tank the kids would love it.

I think the challenge would be they want to see things changing fast more coral/fish etc.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a chemistry teacher, I'd recommend moving to a more sophisticated testing regime. You could probably write to Red Sea and get very tests and supplements for life.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Kremer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a chemistry teacher, I'd recommend moving to a more sophisticated testing regime. You could probably write to Red Sea and get very tests and supplements for life.
@LBReefer I love that idea LOL. I may just do that. Even if they give me a kit or two it would be worth trying!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back