Classroom Reef

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrote up a proposal today for a classroom reef and I was approved! I will be dishing out all the supplies except the tank. They supplied me with a new 5.5g that I hope to turn into a small reef with some sexy shrimp and a bunch of coral.
I plan on only spending about $100 and then just fragging my own coral and donating it to the classroom reef. I also only plan on setting it up and then letting the students take over during the cycle.
I hope to teach my students patience and responsibility through this project. I will be posting pictures as we move along but as for now I only have the tank and payday can't come soon enough so I can start gathering some used supplies off of Craigslist lol.

Equipment I am hoping to use:
AC70 with fuge mod
Small heater
Maxijet 600 or koralia nano 240
Par 30
DIY ATO

Livestock:
Zoas
LPS
Sexy shrimp
CUC
Live rock
Live sand

Happy reefing!

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following..love to see reefs in classrooms..gotta get a new generation in on it!

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along. My fiancée wants to put a tank in her classroom (for me to take care of, of course...) so maybe I'll get some ideas.

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to get more reefs in the classrooms. Ive been working in the school district for just about 6 years and have never seen a reef, just algae infested goldfish tanks!:cry:

So, Ive been looking all morning for a used AC70 on CL and have had no luck! Looks like no one uses these old dinosaurs anymore! It would suck to have to buy a new one because those go for $70 out here:crossedlips:

If anyone one sees one on here or any other forum would you let me know so I can try to snatch it up.
Thanks!

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't made any progress on the classroom reef yet! Ive been busy with settling in our students to our classroom and after school culture lol. Ive been on the hunt for an AC70 or similar HOB and still cant seem to find a decently priced one.
So for now I think im going to go with just a powerhead, heater and light. I will have to get used to weekly 2 gallon water changes and make sure no one puts there extra snacks in the tank.

Sorry for the boring update!

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!
Finally found a donor for a small heater and an AC30. It's small but will have to do.
I will be adding water and a small piece of LR tomorrow and start the cycle. I will also be adding some LS in a few days.
I have started building the ATO and should be ready to go tomorrow.
All I need now is a nice little light and we are ready for coral, after the cycle of course!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev.
So I got a little impatient and just ordered 2 e27 LEDs off of eBay. I guess this will serve as a test to see if they work well. They are 3x3w LEDs 2 blue 1 white. I've seen the gu10 LEDs work so I don't see why these would not.
If they work out I will def buy 6-8 more to supplement my home tank and maybe one more for this little guy.
Thanks for looking!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 5.5 gallon on my desk. I run an AC20 on it and it works well. I think the 70 would have been too big. I also have a Koralia nano. Perfect powerhead for that tank.

2013-09-04 11.05.21.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 5.5 gallon on my desk. I run an AC20 on it and it works well. I think the 70 would have been too big. I also have a Koralia nano. Perfect powerhead for that tank.

2013-09-04 11.05.21.jpg
Man that's a nice set up! What lights are those?
I also put a Knano in there and it looks like it will do just fine. I was just talking to some of my core students and they seem fascinated by the idea of having a reef in the classroom, now if I could only get them to do homework lol.

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the lights and set them up. It's really ghetto looking but we had to improvise the light mount haha. We used the steel legs of a school chair that was broken. Either way it's working and they are on a timer now. I also got the ATO going and that seems to be working well. I'm still waiting for the cycle to finish up and then we can start to add the good stuff.

OP
OP
swayd

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle started today and we found an asterina yesterday. Our students are super excited and literally sit and look at the rocks every chance they get lol. I can't wait to get some coral I there!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back