Clean, sparkling sand?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your help.

My tank is roughly 7 months old. 4 gallon AIO. I've never really gone trough an ugly stage, but I noticed from the start that once the lights came on, my sand turned from pristine to dotted with algae. I recently went through a high PO4 spike and noticed that the sandbed was either covered in spots of hair algae, or the sand was clumping up with algae. I've been steadily decreasing PO4 and as of yesterday it's at 0.72. Hoping to get it down to below 0.10 in the next week or so.

Here's the question. Is there really a way to keep the sand extremely clean? Like, "out-of-the-bag" clean?

Even when my PO4 was above 0.00 and below 0.08, I still noticed algae on the sand. My photoperiod is 10 hours long, with an hour ramp up and ramp down, and intensity never goes past 50% with white at 10% for only 4 hours of the period. Light was originally a Kessil A80, now a 360X. Flow is moderate. There are 4 hermits, 4 snails, and 1 tiger conch for CUC. Livestock is one small clown and one blue damsel, and about a dozen LPS and SPS frags. Mechanical filtration is a filter pad. Bio filtration is three pieces of man-made rock and some MarinePure media. Chemical filtration is Chemi-Pure Blue Nano (1 bag).

Maintenance is a 15% water change weekly. I've started doing sand vacuuming, but after the 4th day of turning over the sand, I still see algae creeping up.

How do you guys keep your sand immaculate (specially you IG guys and girls out there)? Or is this just a fool's errand as there is NO way to keep the sand bed absolutely clean?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People on Instagram and stuff have sand shifting creatures to help keep their sand clean. With a 4 gallon AIO unfortunately those animals are a no go. You can get some nassrius snails to help move the sand or if you want stir portions of your sand to keep it clean

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As shadow said, with a tank that size you're likely going to have to do it manually if you want to keep it consistently pristine. Adding some flow might help, but again you're limited with a tank that size otherwise you're going to create a sand storm.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sifting/stirring a small part of the sand bed each day is what some folks do. I have seen that this does work. I'm just too lazy (errr...I mean busy...) to do it.

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your help.

My tank is roughly 7 months old. 4 gallon AIO. I've never really gone trough an ugly stage, but I noticed from the start that once the lights came on, my sand turned from pristine to dotted with algae. I recently went through a high PO4 spike and noticed that the sandbed was either covered in spots of hair algae, or the sand was clumping up with algae. I've been steadily decreasing PO4 and as of yesterday it's at 0.72. Hoping to get it down to below 0.10 in the next week or so.

Here's the question. Is there really a way to keep the sand extremely clean? Like, "out-of-the-bag" clean?

Even when my PO4 was above 0.00 and below 0.08, I still noticed algae on the sand. My photoperiod is 10 hours long, with an hour ramp up and ramp down, and intensity never goes past 50% with white at 10% for only 4 hours of the period. Light was originally a Kessil A80, now a 360X. Flow is moderate. There are 4 hermits, 4 snails, and 1 tiger conch for CUC. Livestock is one small clown and one blue damsel, and about a dozen LPS and SPS frags. Mechanical filtration is a filter pad. Bio filtration is three pieces of man-made rock and some MarinePure media. Chemical filtration is Chemi-Pure Blue Nano (1 bag).

Maintenance is a 15% water change weekly. I've started doing sand vacuuming, but after the 4th day of turning over the sand, I still see algae creeping up.

How do you guys keep your sand immaculate (specially you IG guys and girls out there)? Or is this just a fool's errand as there is NO way to keep the sand bed absolutely clean?
I have the same problem my tank is 4 months old and it's 6 foot not sure how many gallons but the sand is dirty I've tried stirring it tried vacuuming it even took some sand out cleaning it manually but still dirty any advice anyone

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean, snow white sand i saw only on pictures....

Newer in anyone's tank in person. Not even directly after vacuming. Slight discoloration is always visible....

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response I've Always had stones in my fishtank starting to think sand was a bad idea

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem my tank is 4 months old and it's 6 foot not sure how many gallons but the sand is dirty I've tried stirring it tried vacuuming it even took some sand out cleaning it manually but still dirty any advice anyone
Have you considered one of the electric sand vacuum? Low flow systems tend to allow for many organics to settle on the sand bed I find that the best option is to vacuum it often with one of these, not having to wait for water change day.

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered one of the electric sand vacuum? Low flow systems tend to allow for many organics to settle on the sand bed I find that the best option is to vacuum it often with one of these, not having to wait for water change day.
Thanks for the input I will go on line and see if I can get one.or try my local fish store

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the above you could use reef actif from tropic marine, it’s organic carbon in powder form that will settle on the sand bed and aid your natural bacteria to remove organic from the sand bed.

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've heard of using carbon but didn't know much about it I appreciate your time and advice thanks

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean, snow white sand i saw only on pictures....

Newer in anyone's tank in person. Not even directly after vacuming. Slight discoloration is always visible....
So true. Also, when you are in the ocean you will hardly ever see pristine sand free of algae, grass, etc; honestly makes the tank look more natural. As long as people don’t let it get out of hand.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've heard of using carbon but didn't know much about it I appreciate your time and advice thanks
Yeah just don’t confuse it with granular activated carbon that removes organics from the water column that cause the water to go yellow, Dissolved organic carbon aids with the removal of organic matter faster that will aid the sand discolouration and the detritus build up. Dissolved organic carbon will also lower nitrates and phosphates and need to be used carefully if your nutrients are too low.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be surprised if there's daily sand siphoning involved for those who keep snow-white sand. I've been to a few fish stores that keep show tanks and their staff siphons the surface of the sand daily. Without sifting critters, this may be your only option. With such a small tank, this may be something you can add to your daily routine pretty easily.

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be surprised if there's daily sand siphoning involved for those who keep snow-white sand. I've been to a few fish stores that keep show tanks and their staff siphons the surface of the sand daily. Without sifting critters, this may be your only option. With such a small tank, this may be something you can add to your daily routine pretty easily.
My tank is 6 foot pretty big I've been looking up electric cleaner on the internet there's a lot to choose from. Not bad prices.i try to clean the sand once a week.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit…just noticed this thread is from December 2021, and the OP hasn’t replied to the thread since his first post, so removed my reply.

Last edited:

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 6 foot pretty big I've been looking up electric cleaner on the internet there's a lot to choose from. Not bad prices.i try to clean the sand once a week.

FYI: my response was to the OP who has the small 4 gallon tank.

For you, @glenzil, I would suggest getting some sand sifting critters to help you first. Then, you can just touch-up the surface every few days. IMO, I have tried a hand full of those electric cleaners and they all suck . I would suggest using the smallest Python vac they make. You may only need to change less than a gallon of water each time you use the small Python if you're just doing touch ups.

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: my response was to the OP who has the small 4 gallon tank.

For you, @glenzil, I would suggest getting some sand sifting critters to help you first. Then, you can just touch-up the surface every few days. IMO, I have tried a hand full of those electric cleaners and they all suck . I would suggest using the smallest Python vac they make. You may only need to change less than a gallon of water each time you use the small Python if you're just doing touch ups.
I've got a big syphon but it just mixes it all up I've taken the syphon off and and just been using the hose to run over the sand lightly and it seems to get alot of ****

glenzil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big syphon but it just mixes it all up I've taken the syphon off and and just been using the hose to run over the sand lightly and it seems to get alot of ****
Assisin snails are illegal in Australia so can't use them I heard they help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back