Clean up crew demise

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well. I have a question if been meaning to ask for a while, I’ve been wondering how you guys may offset this issue. How do you keep your reef clean if you have for example a puffer fish that loves eating your clean up crew? Is there a way you can maintain a healthy number of clean up crew while having invert eating fish? The obvious solution I see to this issue is just buying more clean up crew, however, I’m sure you would be spending $100.00+ a month just restocking on clean up crew and not to mention many people advise quarantining clean up crew members before adding them to your display. So how do you keep your reef in check while having invert eating machines?

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a long spine urchin... sooooo cool, I would get one just for the look but my wife refuses. It creeps her out! Check them out, I think that would be a nice solution while adding something interesting

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a long spine urchin... sooooo cool, I would get one just for the look but my wife refuses. It creeps her out! Check them out, I think that would be a nice solution while adding something interesting
The reason I ask is because I want to know if I can achieve the same results a clean up crew would give me with algae eating fish. I definitely do want to pick up an urchin I love the way they look! Appreciate the advice!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits, Cowries and conchs have had the best survival for me. I would avoid anything that cannot flip itself back over if it falls. My puffer loves just pushing snails over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back