Cleaned Your Overflow Lately???

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, have you cleaned your overflow lately? I'm usually pretty good on testing & maintenance but this little chore got by me. I noticed flow in my sump slowed a little and look at the nightmare I pulled out of my overflow box. You might want to give yours a quick inspection.

IMG_8590.jpg
IMG_8589.jpg
IMG_8588.jpg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! I get a lot of tiny snails but never seen that. Good thinking :)

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, have you cleaned your overflow lately? I'm usually pretty good on testing & maintenance but this little chore got by me. I noticed flow in my sump slowed a little and look at the nightmare I pulled out of my overflow box. You might want to give yours a quick inspection.

IMG_8590.jpg
IMG_8589.jpg
IMG_8588.jpg
I never thought to include this as part of my maintenance program, but obviously will make adjustments. As to what this organism is, do you have an id?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily pipes/plumbing are silicone hoses and they're clear. (Amen) But I was totally taken by surprise to find this crunchy mess in overflow.
Silicone prevents adhesion by these snails?

Perhaps fill the overflow with pumice (Seachem Matrix) as it might prevent snails to populate although not sure how much flow will be reduced and it will become a nitrate factory although cleaning socks will become considerably less frequent. Something I've considered.

Back