Cleaner Shrimp Aggression - Chasing my wrasse

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

did you ever see your cleaner shrimp chasing a fish? I mean, the shrimp was in the tank all alone for 2.5 months.. now i did add a pink streaked wrasse and the shrimp is always chasing the wrasse when seeing him.

Is that a normal behaviour and will that ever be less? I mean.. i dont want my pink streaked to be stressed all the time haha..

My other cleaners never chases any fish.. but yeah.. there were always more than just one fish usually.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behavior. They are cleaners by nature, being alone it was probably lost in it's duties. Now that there is a host to clean, it's chasing it wanting to clean it.

Get a couple more fish, and it will probably leave it alone. You know give the guy something to do.

Ever see a video of the ocean where many of these will "set up shop" at an area of the reef where many will form a "swim through" cleaning station? The fish(many carnivores right along with their prey) will actually line up waiting to be cleaned.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y
Normal behavior. They are cleaners by nature, being alone it was probably lost in it's duties. Now that there is a host to clean, it's chasing it wanting to clean it.

Get a couple more fish, and it will probably leave it alone. You know give the guy something to do.

Ever see a video of the ocean where many of these will "set up shop" at an area of the reef where many will form a "swim through" cleaning station? The fish(many carnivores right along with their prey) will actually line up waiting to be cleaned.
yeah.. i will def. get some more fish.. well, my wife wants a pair of clowns but I want to skip that as I have had clowns for years..

But then its ok, I mean the wrasse can easily dodge the aggression and hide somewhere.. the cleaner never wins this battle.

I gotta watch that video.. i guess i can find something on yt?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah forget the actual video, but yes it was on youtube. Someone linked it here a few years back.

Back when I was setting up my biocube, only had one wrasse(tanaka's pygmy), and one cleaner, the cleaner would annoy the heck out of the poor wrasse. When I added more fish, the shrimp calmed down on the wrasse.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back