Cleaner Shrimp Dilemma...

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to do here. I've had cleaner shrimp for years in my 90-gal reef tank. It's probably been a few months. After the demise of my purple pseudochromis (thank goodness, secretly), who was a notorious bully, I decided to add another cleaner shrimp. The one I received was very small and as soon as I added it to the tank, everybody went on the attack. The poor thing managed to get in my overflow box, where he's staying for the moment. I hate to feed my sump, but I'm putting a little bit of frozen food in there. If he gets sucked into the sump and survives, I'll move him into my refugium. Otherwise, I may try to get him out of the overflow and into the refugium when my son comes to town.

If he gets much bigger, do you think it would be okay to try and reintroduce him into the tank or not? I'm wondering if it's just his size because my other fish have never been on the cleaner shrimp attack before! If it's a bad idea, he may just have to "clean" the wad of chaeto in the refugium all night long...opinions?

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull your standpipe out of your overflow and send him the fast way to your sump.

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of fish. What fish are in the tank? What is the size of this shrimp?

The shrimp is small, probably an inch and a half or so. I put him in after feeding the fish, so that may have also been a mistake. They may have thought he was food! My tank is mostly wrasses, a few damsels, pygmy angelfish, clownfish.

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pull your standpipe out of your overflow and send him the fast way to your sump.

Thank you. We had to do that once before to rescue a fish who jumped. If he hasn't been sucked into the sump by the time my son comes back in town, we'll do that!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
introduction after feeding the resident fish is usually a worthwhile strategy.

what about an acclimation box for a few days?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp is small, probably an inch and a half or so. I put him in after feeding the fish, so that may have also been a mistake. They may have thought he was food! My tank is mostly wrasses, a few damsels, pygmy angelfish, clownfish.
Some wrasses will go for inverts but I think you are on the right track - reintroduce him once he’s had a few molts (after lights out) and I would think he should be fine.

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
introduction after feeding the resident fish is usually a worthwhile strategy.

what about an acclimation box for a few days?

I do have an acclimation box and may try that. The shrimp is still in the overflow box. I'm feeding him a little frozen food. He seems pretty content in there for now.

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses will go for inverts but I think you are on the right track - reintroduce him once he’s had a few molts (after lights out) and I would think he should be fine.

Thanks! I used to have a melanurus wrasse, and there's no way I could have a shrimp in there with him! I have a fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, and a six line now. I'm going to give him a little more time to grow in the overflow box.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I used to have a melanurus wrasse, and there's no way I could have a shrimp in there with him! I have a fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, and a six line now. I'm going to give him a little more time to grow in the overflow box.
No problem! The little guy should be fine, and I’m sure is enjoying his own little private 1 bedroom apartment ;)

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the shrimp. We got him out of the overflow a few weeks ago and he is currently cleaning chaeto in the refugium. He's had a molt since we moved him, but I'm really contemplating just leaving him in there instead of letting him grow more and putting him back in the DT. He has an emerald crab fuge-mate. I drop a little tidbit of frozen food in there for him. Would you attempt putting him back in the DT later or just leave him be?

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on this thread. The cleaner shrimp has lived in the refugium for the last 5 months, with me feeding a little frozen food a few times a week. He was successfully relocated into the main DT a few nights ago (while the fish were asleep) and is doing great. He's probably about 2 inches now and had several molts during his time in the fuge. I'm sure he'll be much happier in the DT! ;Joyful

Back