Cleaning an Atman Pump - The Hidden Compartment

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SWC 160 with an Atman 2500 pump. Had it about ten years, and it's not on a cleaning schedule, but I'd say I pull out the skimmer/pump and clean the whole thing about every six months or so. For the pump, I pull out the impeller and clean that up. Never touched the back side.

If you look at the back side, you'll see a cover.

Atman 2500.jpg

That cover very easily pops off. Always knew it was there, but never opened it up. So today I figure I'd pull it off and find a bunch of mini brittle stars....like other pumps I have. Was I surprised...the entire inside of the back side was packed with a white precipitate. Totally packed! Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of this, but here it is after cleaning, with the cover off.

Atman Back Open 2.jpg

I'm sure the warmth of the motor caused the precipitation. I have to believe all this precipitation impacts pump cooling. It easily was cleaned out. I'm now wondering if the multiple pump failures I've had (maybe 5 or 6 pumps), this packed back side might have had something to do with the pumps no longer working.

On a separate note, I went to order another backup and found that the Atman's aren't as readily available as in the past. Use to find them everywhere...eBay, Amazon, Fishstreet, etc. I'm now wondering if they are on the way out. I did find some, but high price. I was able to find a ViaAqua 2600, which is the exact same pump, with the exception of the impeller....just going to use the old impeller from the Atman.

Atman on the right, ViaAqua on the left.

Atman versus ViaAqua.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some marineland pumps with plastic cases that would pop off In the past. Full of stuff.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back