Cleaning clear siphon hose from a python no spill water changing system?

sayhy2mark33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I own a python water changing hose system that hooks up to my kitchen sink to change water to and from my sink (I'm freshwater in a reef setup). Over time, my clear siphon hose some 30 feet long has blackened with algae inside, and I'd like to try to clean it, because it looks repulsive and the gf asked. I was thinking of siphon a straight bleach solution through the hose. Has anyone tried to clean their system and have any tricks? I can't seem to find anything, online. Thanks.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook the hose up to a return pump and set it in a tote full of bleach or vinegar, making sure to keep the hose rolled up nearly and the end secure so it doesn't go all firehose on ya and then hook it up to the sink for a good rinse and store.

To dry them you can go out side and swing it around as fast as possible and the g force pushes a lot of the water out of the hose. You might have to double it over if it is too long to swing but make sure to hold the folded end and point the open ends out so the water can escape.

"Acro Sheen"

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you don't want to buy a replacement hose here is what I would suggest. Fill up a bucket or tub with vinegar and water and let the hose soak overnight. This next part may be a pain but all I can think to try for a hose that long is after its soaked overnight get some 50 or 100lb test monofilament and tie a small weight on the end of it (it may or may not work better without the weight) and try feeding it though the hose when or if you can do this tie a piece of cloth, magic eraser, sponge, etc..to the other end and pull it through. Depending on how bad it is just soaking it for a few days in vinegar may do the trick. I wouldn't use bleach unless you absolutely had to. Hope this helps.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea with the monofilament and magic eraser. Kind of like a bore snake. :)

Also two little fishes makes a magnetic cleaner for this as well if you prefer the store bought route over diy.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've owned one of these for 15-16+ years ( maybe more. I've had it for so long) and I've cleaned mine a bunch of times using a water/bleach solution.
You could add a cup of bleach to a 5 gallon bucket of water and suck up the solution until the hose is full.
Hang both ends of the hose up to keep it full and let it sit overnight.
In the morning, drain it.
I also like to add a large dose of a dechlorinator to the 5 gallon bucket of water and fill the hose up again and let it sit for a couple hours and the drain.

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok because my tanks are so far from the tub, i have ones that are 20+ ft long, what i did the last time this happened was to fill a tub with hot water and put the hose in it, then i took a pump and cotton balls, split the cotton balls in half and roll em a bit, stick one in the tube, put pump to tube and the race is on, had to do this a few times but it works too

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 50 foot one and I have always bleached it.. Let it sit for a while and then fill the tub up and rinse it..

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%

Back