Cleaning fragging tools

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new set of cutters for fragging sps. What's the proper way to clean these to keep from rusting out? They are stainless but saltwater is the worst enemy.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will slowly get ruined if you don't take action. To prevent rusting, wash them off in tap water. Dry them, then I've even heard of some people keeping them in a tub of rice to absorb moisture.

With very poor care on my end, mine rusted out after about 2 years of use. To fix this I used vegetable oil to loosen then up then later I washed with dish detergent and dried them.

So long as you are diligent with washing them very well (just tap, no soap or anything is necessary) and drying you shouldn't encounter problems.

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse in fresh water after each use. Let them air dry. Do not store them inside the aquarium cabinet where there is high humidity...

If they do get rusted a soak in vinegar, then a soak in veggie oil will loosen them back up again. After this just rinse well in really hot water and use...

I have had the same set of bone cutters for 6 years and they are still going strong using this method. This works for tweezers, bone cutters, and scissors. I don't use scalpels as I frag softies with surgical scissors.

reefin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinse off with fresh water, shake dry and then let air dry.

Also if cutting out of water, tin snips work much better than bone cutters and are much cheaper!
But if you have to cut in water still with the stainless steel bone cutters

OP
OP
Clearwater

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious if anyone had a secret to keep those things nice and shinny! Will to the rinse and dry really good.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back