Cleaning fragging tools

Clearwater

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
385
Reaction score
3
Location
Ventura county
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new set of cutters for fragging sps. What's the proper way to clean these to keep from rusting out? They are stainless but saltwater is the worst enemy.
 
Last edited:
They will slowly get ruined if you don't take action. To prevent rusting, wash them off in tap water. Dry them, then I've even heard of some people keeping them in a tub of rice to absorb moisture.

With very poor care on my end, mine rusted out after about 2 years of use. To fix this I used vegetable oil to loosen then up then later I washed with dish detergent and dried them.

So long as you are diligent with washing them very well (just tap, no soap or anything is necessary) and drying you shouldn't encounter problems.
 
Last edited:
I just rinse them in fresh water and dry them.

CJ
 
Rinse in fresh water after each use. Let them air dry. Do not store them inside the aquarium cabinet where there is high humidity...

If they do get rusted a soak in vinegar, then a soak in veggie oil will loosen them back up again. After this just rinse well in really hot water and use...

I have had the same set of bone cutters for 6 years and they are still going strong using this method. This works for tweezers, bone cutters, and scissors. I don't use scalpels as I frag softies with surgical scissors.
 
I just rinse off with fresh water, shake dry and then let air dry.

Also if cutting out of water, tin snips work much better than bone cutters and are much cheaper!
But if you have to cut in water still with the stainless steel bone cutters
 
I was just curious if anyone had a secret to keep those things nice and shinny! Will to the rinse and dry really good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new