Cleaning LED light fans

ElusiveKumquat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have 3 AI prime lights. There is dust building up on the fans as expected. I blow what I can off. What is the best method for cleaning these off. I was thinking maybe air in a can but not sure. Any thoughts would be awesome thanks!

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you blow them off regularly the fans are usually good. If they go awhile without being blown off there is a build up on them that air just doesn't work on; especially with the moisture of the tank. A small compressor with a air nozzle and a moisture trap is IMO the best way to keep them clean; if you have one or can get one. If they have build up on them that may not be sufficient and you may want to clean them with some alcohol and cotton swabs and or q-tips to do a good detailed cleaning. IMO the air in the can common for cleaning electronics I wouldn't use without removing what you're cleaning from the direct vicinity of your tank. There is often moisture from the compressed air chemicals that come out when spraying them. Good luck!

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real way to clean the fan is to take the light apart. It is easy and AI told me it will not void the warranty. There are videos on you tube to walk you through it. This is more of an annual maintenance. In between that I just blow on it and vacuum it once in awhile

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#LED

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop vac with the brush attachment... works like a charm. Not a fan of shooting compressed air into delicate electronics.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow off with compressed air every 2 months and take apart to clean 1x year with vacuum with a brush on it.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but deserves a good shock from the defib and CPR.
Now that these lights are aging many of them are getting pretty "gunky". Simply blowing them out is no longer working. Alot of people (myself included) are placing them close to the water on drilled 40 breeder setups to get maximum par values on these incredible little affordable lights. That said, disassembly is fairly easy and straight forward. There are a couple videos on how to do this on youtube. Simply search in google "how to clean and AI Prime HD" and it will pop up. It is not very difficult but make sure you have small screw drivers as to not strip the screw head or over toque them going back in. Hope this helps. Mine ran about 20 degrees cooler after a deep clean of 1 years use even with a air duster cleaning about once a month.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... remove or clean in place... depends if it is a big cleaning or small.

9E061781-3262-4B1E-937C-BE50A051141E.jpeg

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those look like hydra's. I wonder if AI will let you take those apart to clean like the Primes without blowing the warranty?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back