Cleaning of Wave Pumps

How often do you clean your wave pumps? And what do you use?


  • Total voters
    25

PristineReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2020
Messages
34
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 eflux 2100 go bad on me in less than 2 years. Used vinegar soaks but only cleaned when I noticed flow drop and lots of coraline algae on it. Now gonna use Citric Acid.
 
I have gyres and use citric acid about every 6 months. Soak them in it for a couple of hours and coralline comes off like butta.
 
I use citric acid and they come out looking brand new. love the stuff.

I typically wait until I noticed reduced flow, typically 2-3 months between cleanings.
 
I actually clean mine weekly with citric acid. Fortunately i have spare parts for both my Wavs and my MP40s so I swap out covers/bases and wetsides each week. I am a big believer in keeping equipment clean :)
 
What ratio of citric acid to water do you guys do?
 
I don't even really measure.....if I had to guess, somewhere around 1/2 cup to a gallon of water and let soak overnight.
 
Since I have muriatic acid on hand to lower the ALK in NSW, I use that in place of citric acid.

I used to use citric acid, one day when I ran out, I remembered reading about people using muriatic acid to clean pumps. Started using that, and found diluted acid works much better, and faster.
 
Since I have muriatic acid on hand to lower the ALK in NSW, I use that in place of citric acid.

I used to use citric acid, one day when I ran out, I remembered reading about people using muriatic acid to clean pumps. Started using that, and found diluted acid works much better, and faster
Thank you
Did you go half and half when diluting it?
 
Thank you
Did you go half and half when diluting it?
Not sure on exact ratio. I use a 2G bucket, a few cups of acid, and the rest water. I have never measured it, but I would say it's somewhere around 1 to 3 ratio.
 
Not sure on exact ratio. I use a 2G bucket, a few cups of acid, and the rest water. I have never measured it, but I would say it's somewhere around 1 to 3 ratio.
Ok great, ill pick up some

Once done, did you just rinsed it with RO and placed it back in the tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new