cleaning plastic on neglected tank

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 40 gallon Innovative Marine tank. It is in pretty rough shape, but the owner assures me their are know scratches in the tank. I would like to keep it that way.
I have no issues with cleaning the glass with my scraper, but just found out that back "glass" is actually plastic. What can be used to clean this back plastic piece? I have had luck n the past with putting a paper towel soaked in vinegar on the back, but this is going to require a bit more elbow grease. I currently have the tank full of water and citric acid to break down the crud.

Can I use a green Scotch Brite pad to scrub the back, or is that asking for trouble?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scotch Brite is a no go. Assuming IM used acrylic, easiest would be to scrape it with a softer plastic like teflon or polypro, but folks often use credit cards.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box, if it has one, could well be acrylic in an otherwise glass tank but having a full acrylic rear pane? I'm not convinced.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the citric acid do it's thing for 12 hours, then come back with a microfiber towel and brush what's still clinging off.

If you still have issues, you can get a plastic 'gasket remover' from any auto store, it looks like a razor scraper, but has orange plastic inserts instead of actual razors. Be Gentle. Acrylic scratches and deforms very easily.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box, if it has one, could well be acrylic in an otherwise glass tank but having a full acrylic rear pane? I'm not convinced.
It is an AIO so the overflow is the back wall.
But I am with you... I never expected a plastic wall. Crazy thing is, there is a glass back on the "sump" section up to a certain point, then they put a plastic side into the tank. It is definitely plastic though.

I had a feeling a Scotchbrite was too abrasive. It is currently soaking with citric acid so I will give it a go tomorrow with a plastic card.
I also considered one of those "Scrub Daddy's" they tend to be much softer, but abrasive enough to remove the crud.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back