Cleaning rock method ??

  • Thread starter Thread starter onetire
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

onetire

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
152
Reaction score
34
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how or if everyone cleaned their rocks . I have been using a turkey Baster for yrs to blow them out and sometimes get algae off . This has proven to be a problem for me due to vermetid snails my last tank had a serious over population of them and I'm guessing cause they fed so well when I blew the rocks off once a week at cleaning time . I recently started a new tank with mostly new rock and am afraid to repeatedly blow the rocks out again because I don't want a serous overpopulation of them again . Any suggestions ? Is there a better method ?
 
I use a powerhead to blow the detritus off my rocks from time to time.
 
I put 90% new rock in my new tank but vermetid r still there in force . I am still worried blowing the rocks off and feeding them all and exploding the population again ugh ! Thanks for the input have been curious what others do for rock cleaning
 
Simply get a thick glove for your hand and go pet your rocks :)

My parents came over once while I was killing them and I couldn't resist on saying that it's healthy to pet your rocks at least once a week lol

Seriously though.. Go run your fingers over all the rock you can and they'll start thinning out!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new