Clear Fuzzy Stuff Covering Acan

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed that there was this layer of clear fuzzy stuff covering a few heads on an acan that I have, I was able to use a syringe to suck it off pretty easily but I was just wondering if anyone knows what it could be?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it got stung by something else? What other corals do you have nearby? (within reaching distance)

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it got stung by something else? What other corals do you have nearby? (within reaching distance)
Just more acans

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color is it? It could be mucus/ slime coating but it could be a bacterial infection. Keep a close eye on the polyps to see if it gets worse. If it is bacteria don't get it on your other corals. It can spread like wild fire. If you do have to take the coral out shut your water flow off first.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was back today and the entire acan was covered in it, i suckied it off and the flesh of the coral just came off with it :( I took it out and put it in a different tank.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it in another tank place a power head on one side and at least 8 inches away place the coral in the flow. Put it on something as to raise it up so it has flow all over. The flow should be good but not so good as to damage tissue. The increased flow will allow the coral to respire better and it will blow off any tissue or bacteria off the coral. I have saved lps coral in this way.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't yet, you might want to start looking into Lugol's, Revive, Coral Rx etc. Something of that nature. Dipping the coral might stop the bleeding so to say. GL.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to remove a hippo tang that ate my acans, dont put your fish out of the questions as some fish like the slime coat on corals and then its a cycle between the coral mucus and fish eating till the acan is gone

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back