Clear/green splotches on new Toadstool

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a new Toadstool from the LFS, and have noticed a few greenish clear splotches on it. The coral does open up every day and look healthy, and this is only noticeable at night. Not sure if this is shedding, natural coloration, or something else? Below are pictures of the coral.

IMG_5807.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the beginning of the coral shedding but might just be a critter nipping at it. Anything that might be bothering it?

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the beginning of the coral shedding but might just be a critter nipping at it. Anything that might be bothering it?
Only been in the tank a few days, but I do have a red legged hermit crab that showed a bit of interest. I will continue to monitor him and see if he needs to be removed.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still opening when lights are on? might just be getting ready so shed. I have a couple of these and they get light colored splotches on them all the time that come and go.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty normal. Mine do this from time to time. No issues. Maybe thinking of shedding. Should be fine unless you see some pitting or black tissue.

Edit, just thought of something else. When some leathers do not like there flow or position, they will drop babies. If you see it splitting, could be the reason.

My guess is only a few days in it is ready to shed and adjust to new tank.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still opening when lights are on? might just be getting ready so shed. I have a couple of these and they get light colored splotches on them all the time that come and go.
That sounds like what is going on here! It is still opening about 80 percent of the way, there is one chunk of it that isn’t but I assume that is just from irritation.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty normal. Mine do this from time to time. No issues. Maybe thinking of shedding. Should be fine unless you see some pitting or black tissue.

Edit, just thought of something else. When some leathers do not like there flow or position, they will drop babies. If you see it splitting, could be the reason.

My guess is only a few days in it is ready to shed and adjust to new tank.
I don’t think there is any pitting, but I will keep an eye out for it.

I do know that the flow is to low for it, but all of the other coral and fish get very angry when I add a powerhead in ( even on the lowest setting )

thanks for the help!

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got quite a few leathers and they all act different in the same tank. I have one Tyree toadstool that will only open for a couple days then sheds. It's been doing this for a year, while I have another no name green toad that has grown 3 times the size of the tyree and almost never sheds. Tried moving the Tyree 3 times to different locations and it always does the same thing ;Meh.

If you don't have a good amount of flow, try hitting it with a turkey baster to clean it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got quite a few leathers and they all act different in the same tank. I have one Tyree toadstool that will only open for a couple days then sheds. It's been doing this for a year, while I have another no name green toad that has grown 3 times the size of the tyree and almost never sheds. Tried moving the Tyree 3 times to different locations and it always does the same thing ;Meh.

If you don't have a good amount of flow, try hitting it with a turkey baster to clean it.
Thanks for the insight, I will use the turkey baster idea!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this devils hand that was really weird for the longest time. It would drop babies and close up and was all around mad all the time. I removed it from my main system and put into my qt/grow out tank. I eventually stopped dropping babies and was out all the time. So, After probably about a year, I replaced it back into my system. It is fine now.
Leathers can be weird.

Flow has alot to do with their happiness. Gotta find a good spot and good flow. Non linear flow is best.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we're on the subject....I have a Tyree toadstool that I got at about 1" and is now up to about 6" across, but has never shed. Is that common?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you may not have noticed it shed. It can happen quickly at night. Sounds like it is happy though. I do not always see mine shed. In fact, I rarely notice the actual shed, just signs leading up and the growth spurts. :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree getting ready to shed

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back