Clear vs. opaque prop tank?

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm trying to setup a prop tank system, but I'm debating a bit about how I want to do it. I plan on picking up a 50 gal Rubbermaid stock tank and I also have a 20L glass aquarium. I like the surface area of the stock tank, but of course, it is opaque. Is there a reason you guys like either clear (glass/acrylic) vs. opaque for your frag tanks? Is it a nicer "presentation" to be able to look in from the sides? I'll likely simply make one or the other into the sump, but I'm curious if people had strong opinions one way or another in setting up a prop system (I hate redoing things after making stupid mistakes!).

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dont plan on looking at the tank from the side, there really isnt a reason to worry about it.

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dont plan on looking at the tank from the side, there really isnt a reason to worry about it.

Yeah I mean I could care less, and in general, don't most corals look better from the top? How hard is it to take pictures top down of individual corals? I'm sure I'm overthinking, but like I said, I don't want to screw things up!

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a 2- 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs

ps1.jpg

rstimeout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the tubes i am going with them i think you have a lot more room to do other coral if you like

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back