Clearwater Scrubbers - Anyone run one?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was @Reef A Palooza Orlando this past Saturday and had an absolute blast! Got to meet a lot of solid vendors and contacts and Dave the owner of @REEF2REEF and his lovely wife. Also got to meet the guys from CoralVue, @EcoTech Marine , ClearwaterScubbers , AquaFX , Royal Exclusiv, Hanna Instruments, WorldWideCorals, Ryan & Randy from @Bulk Reef Supply and MatthiasF from GHL and many more Coral suppliers... I finally got a chance to have a nice chat with Josh Johnson the owner of Clear Water Scrubbers about install and the specs since I was interested in getting-one.

I wanted to something a little bigger and solid for my new build. After chatting with Josh that was super helpful and showed me everything I needed to know about these Clear Water scrubbers, installing flow etc etc! Josh recommended that I got with the CW-200 Algae External Scrubber including the black out light cover that will sit right on top of my sump over my refugium in my 35 gallon custom sump. Please disregard my old SKIMZ protein skimmer since I HAVE upgraded to the @reef Octopus #REGAL INTL 150 PROTEIN SKIMMER.

If you run a Cleawater Scrubber, would love to hear your thoughts, opinions on how well these scrubbers run. Please feel free to share some picture of how you have yours installed over your sump??

Spec are the following:
For use up to 225 gallons. 2 red/blue 30Watt LED lights good for up to 50,000 hrs.
4ft UL approved plug in cord.
Recommended flow is 450-700 GPH
Dimensions 10”W x 15”L x 11”T

cLWSCRUBBERS.jpg

SCRUBBER.jpg

SCRUBBER TOP.jpg

My custom 34 sump.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt from @BoomCorals ran one with good success on his tanks for a while. Here is his thread about them.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-turf-scrubber-replacement-time.343591/

That said, if you have patience, get on his waiting list. It’s well worth the wait for a Turbo’s Aquatics ATS. Bud’s scrubbers are in a different league. His custom dimmable LEDs, fit and finish separate him from everyone else. I’ve owned a Santa Monica Rain2 and now a Turbo’s L2 R4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt from @BoomCorals ran one with good success on his tanks for a while. Here is his thread about them.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-turf-scrubber-replacement-time.343591/
That said, if you have patience, get on his waiting list. It’s well worth the wait for a Turbo’s Aquatics ATS. Bud’s scrubbers are in a different league. His custom dimmable LEDs, fit and finish separate him from everyone else. I’ve owned a Santa Monica Rain2 and now a Turbo’s L2 R4.

Turbo’s Aquatics ATS are nicer than Clear Water Scrubbers, really wow! I think i might have to get a quote on one and compere them - many thanks @Water Dog.
Here is a picture of what I pulled out of my @SantaMonica Hog Algae scrubber after about 9 weeks, give or take and I currently have ZERO algae in my display.
See pix # 2 and 3.. That was just about 9 or 10 weeks of growth.

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two @Turbo’s Aquatics ATS, one on each one of my tanks. I love this scrubber! I tried the Santa Monica Hog Algae scrubber and it did not work very well for me. And the magnets just rusted in the water and caused more problems. I am not familiar with the CW scrubbers so can't comment on those.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the definitive thread on Bud’s latest generation of Turbo’s Aquatics ATSs.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/introducing-the-new-turbo-algae-scrubber-rev-4.212728/

Again, it’s a long waiting list, but well worth it. I think the two biggest innovations of his scrubbers are the dimmable LEDs which allow you to dial in your growth over time and the removable growth chamber which make cleaning it a breeze. Check out his attention to detail in these videos...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work!, but maintenance is a pita. I've seen all the brands running live, I have friends ans an lfs that runs several. They all perform similar, I even built my own which performed as well and even better than some. My lfs owner friend likes the Clear Water best, he runs 3 of the most popular brands.

Looks like Turbo is addressing one of the pita issues, controlling the drain valve. Tuning in the flow to drain can be tricky; just because it's tuned today, doesn't mean it's tuned tomorrow. I've seen these units flowing perfecting one day, then burping and gurgling the next. I added an air hose to the drain outlet and it helped me get a proper tune.

Waterfall noise, no matter what; the water path is in constant change as the algae grows. So today the unit may be quiet, tomorrow the unit sounds like Niagara Falls. I cut a screen with a slit to slide into the main screen. I used eggcrate to support it at the waterline, this proved just right to diffuse the water as it hits the water in the bottom of the unit.

Nothing changes the biggest pita of all, cleaning. I scraped mine. A properly sized reactor is so much less maintenance, a true plug and play, and is just as efficient if on the right system.

So it all depends; is the cost and maintenance worth the results...for you. Because they do work.

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Clearwater. I have installed them on all of my own tanks, and on many of my clients. For the price and performance you really can't beat Clearwater. I clean mine once every couple of weeks, and it keeps my nitrates at 0, despite me heavily overfeeding and dosing large volumes red sea reef energy A&B, reef roids and marine snow. Over the years I've tried a number of different brands, and so far none compare.

As far as features go, I'm very excited for the SB reef lights addition. As it sits now mine are all extremely quiet and easy to maintenance it takes all of two minutes to pull the screen and run something across it to remove the algae. In my opinion the need to dim lights is a waste for a scrubber, I'm trying to grow algae, so one setting is good enough, though I can see to some people how this could be a selling point. For me I want maximum nutrient removal from my scrubber, so it doesn't appeal.

You really need to decide on what features are a must have for you and go from there. What sells me on Clearwater is they're extremely well made and sturdy, the customer service is amazing, plus they just look good. In my mind there's a reason BRS stocks them over other brands, and a reason why they have companies like SB reef coming on board with them. They're an outstanding company who I will always recommend!

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on CW Scrubber, what pump,are you running? I’m running a Varios 2, just started up the scrubber, got it at Reef a Palooza Orlando. No algae yet, the water fills up slightly above the bottom pipe in the chamber, then empties and then does this all over again and again. Thus causes the sump water level t0 go up and down frequently creating other issues with water height sensors, floats,etc I have. Any Thoughts?

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on CW Scrubber, what pump,are you running? I’m running a Varios 2, just started up the scrubber, got it at Reef a Palooza Orlando. No algae yet, the water fills up slightly above the bottom pipe in the chamber, then empties and then does this all over again and again. Thus causes the sump water level t0 go up and down frequently creating other issues with water height sensors, floats,etc I have. Any Thoughts?
Sounds like you're putting too much flow through it. Mine has a constant water level in it.

what's happening is you're getting a siphon and it's draining rapidly, breaking siphon, then filling back up until the cycle repeats.

There are 2 options that I can think of, decrease flow, or put in a siphon break the same way you would on an external skimmer or drain line out the back of a tank.

Last edited:

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're putting too much flow through it. Mine has a constant water level in it.

what's happening is you're getting a siphon and it's draining rapidly, breaking siphon, then filling back up until the cycle repeats.

There are 2 options that I can think of, decrease flow, or put in a siphon break the same way you would on an external skimmer or drain line out the back of a tank.

Hmm thank you- hadn't thought about that. I have the pump on the lowest setting, its a Varios 2 and Coralvue doesn't publish the low end.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one of these actually replace a skimmer? Also these can not go inside the sump right? I am not sure where I would put it....

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one of these actually replace a skimmer? Also these can not go inside the sump right? I am not sure where I would put it....
We put a piece of acrylic on top of our sump, its supported in the middle for weight.

We’re actually running both refugium and scrubber, really cause we started with refugium and then got the scrubber at Reefapalooza. The fuge is inline in the sump first then the scrubber. The scrubber isn’t really doing much right now, so I’ve turned the lights down so they aren’t running as long. I actually need my nitrate and phosphate to come up a bit.

A9563607-0F53-40F7-924E-60338B75448D.jpeg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put a piece of acrylic on top of our sump, its supported in the middle for weight.

We’re actually running both refugium and scrubber, really cause we started with refugium and then got the scrubber at Reefapalooza. The fuge is inline in the sump first then the scrubber. The scrubber isn’t really doing much right now, so I’ve turned the lights down so they aren’t running as long. I actually need my nitrate and phosphate to come up a bit.

A9563607-0F53-40F7-924E-60338B75448D.jpeg

Not sure why you would need a refuge if your running a Algae scrubber, that just a waste of space mate and on top of that I see a Reef Octo REGAL Protein Skimmer running and a Reactor.

Here is what my custom sump will look like but instead of 40''' my sump will be 44'' incl the new Klir Filter system from CoralVue. I don't ever have to worry about changing those stupid filter socks ones the Klir comes out in a few months.

Sump Size: 44'X 20'' X 18''

RS40''.jpg

klirfilter_sump_side_1.jpg

BOTTOMCABINET.JPG

RonnieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the CW-50 today and have noticed a problem with the drain line gurgling very loud. The CW-50 is rated for 200GPH flow, and I purchased the Sicce 0.5 which is rated for 185GPH. The scrubber seems to act as if there’s to much flow. Like there’s to much for the 1/2” drain to handle. I’m going to try to increase the drain PVC to 3/4” to see if that will fix that. You can see this and hear the gurgling on my YouTube channel: Pilot, Gardener, & Reefer! I will post updates to my findings to my channel.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the CW-50 today and have noticed a problem with the drain line gurgling very loud. The CW-50 is rated for 200GPH flow, and I purchased the Sicce 0.5 which is rated for 185GPH. The scrubber seems to act as if there’s to much flow. Like there’s to much for the 1/2” drain to handle. I’m going to try to increase the drain PVC to 3/4” to see if that will fix that. You can see this and hear the gurgling on my YouTube channel: Pilot, Gardener, & Reefer! I will post updates to my findings to my channel.

Thanks for the heads up, but I am sure that the owner will help you out!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scrubbers work but they are a pita. Try a rigid airline tube inserted into the drain. It's not getting enough air, the airline tube will serve as venting and allow the water to run without gasping for air. My other pet peeve is the water fall noisy, I built an eggcrate platform to support a mesh screen right at the water line, this created a diffusion of the water fall and lessen the noise.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just move the spray bar a little bit from left to right? Originally I thought that was the main drawback with scrubbers, but when I adjusted the spray bar it solved the issue :).

It's dead quiet now, but I have drilled holes not a slot. I also use a separate pump that only pumps 300 GPH and I can adjust it down so the drain isn't so overwhelmed. There are usually two noise issues with the scrubber --- the spray bay and the drain. Bottom drains seem to be quieter than side drains IMO as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back