Clevers 220g Build

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I built my tank almost 2 years ago now. A little back ground about my reef experience before we get started. I started off with a 29g Tank that I ran for a few months. I then converted my 75g Planted tank into a reef...learned a lot. Never had a lot of luck with my 75g. I had the 75g for about 2 years and it went from reef tank to a FOWLR tank back to Reef. I just had trouble keeping corals because they would be doing well but never really growing and then suddenly everything would start dying off slowly, so I went with a fowlr tank and really enjoyed it at the time but I always felt I was missing coral. The challenge of coral just kept bringing me back to it. I then bought a new house so I decided to upgrade to a 220g. I had gotten a 7ft 210g tank and sump and stand from a guy for free The tank was in bad shape because it was terribly scratched on the fron. I then decided I could just flip it around and use the back as the front however he had hard water etch the glass causing a weird fog like hue over the glass. So after much talk I decided I would just buy a new tank. So lets just get into the build.

Current Equipment:
220g Display
30g Cube Display Frag Tank
30g Sump
Reef Octopus Regal INT250
Flowmax Return (I dont remember)
Dual Chamber Reactor for GFO/Carbon
Gyre Riptide
2x WP40's (Soon to be replaced)
72" Hamilton 3x 250W MH Radiums 4x 80W T5HO /w M80 ballast (220g Lights)
175W MH over frag tank (not sure what brand but its nice)
RW-4 In frag tank
Jebao Dosing Pump
Reef Keeper Lite /w PH, Temp, ATO
All Dry Rock!

I started my 220g as an LPS tank and am now turning it into a SPS tank. That is why I run all MH now. I just didnt think the LED's had what it took, at least the ones that I felt comfortable buying in my price range.

Here was my Planted tank that got me into the whole Aquarium Hobby
[/IMG]

Then Turned it into a reef

Here is the stand when I got it and then when I was finished with it. I stipped it down inside and out, siliconed the inside along with painting it in kilz then painted it black. also I had to ditch that sump and build my own out of a 30g breeder

025_zpsb09d378f.jpg

054_zps28eb1cbe.jpg

008_zpsd5608a45.jpg

The tank was then cycled and all that good stuff, Didnt take long because I had so much live rock from my other tank. At the time I was a fanboy of LED so I got 3x AI Hydras and they did ok for my LPS tank but never really got the growth I wanted. Here is a picture of the tank when it was at its best in LPS. along with a video.

113_zpsbe646096.jpg

[video]http://vid159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/CleverBs/066_zps2ce7bd9e.mp4[/video]

At this time I was getting Married and was super busy so water changes got put to the side. I had always done a 40g Water change every sunday. Well when I started skipping water changes things started going down hill, I had no idea why and I couldnt figure it out. I wasnt very knowledgable on the balance of Alk/Cal/Mag at the time because I had never done any kind of dosing, I was just doing water changes and it was keeping up with the demand at the time from just pure luck. My alk fell through the floor and my mag did to, I left for my honeymoon and when I got back 90% of my coral was gone. It was terrible. So I cleaned up my tank and just took a break from coral for a few months and did tons and tons of research as well as getting everything back in order. I learned a ton about dosing and what params to have. I learned what caused my problem in the first place. I then decided I would restart the tank and go for SPS, I loved LPS but I wanted to try something new. So I started collecting the things I needed to convert my tank into a LPS tank into an SPS tank and get a few things to prevent my last issue to ever happen again.

1st step: Get a dosing pump! So I got one
2nd step: Get 2part from BRS (in the future I will make my own)
3rd step: Remove sandbed (I am just a sand hater, I tried it with my lps tank and never really cared much for it)
4th step: New Lights!
5th step: Build a frag tank just because I have always wanted one
6th step: Bump up flow so I bought a Gyre
7th step: grab some sps and see how they do for a month

So the only thing I have left that I want to do is take out all my rock, remove the remains of the sand bed I had under the rocks, and put down an HDPE board.

Here is the tank as it stands today along with the frag tank by its side.

Right now it is filled with SPS and I have gotten rid of a lot of the LPS.
350_zpsuq4mnocu.jpg

1CB13218-9CE7-42D0-BD1E-4CF09983718D_zpstrvczep8.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!!

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently Not a fan at all of my scape, So I am going to be working that out. Im thinking I may finally go down the path of acrylic rods. and making some kind of interesting structures. I want some thing more interesting for the tank.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I need to take a bit of a break from the spending part of the hobby so I am thinking I want to make my fragtank a small display tank for the time being. I have enough corals to fill it out and let it fill in nice. Then I can move everything to the 220g when I can get back into things again.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some news from Marineland today about the cracked brace. At first they tried to blame the fact that the tank was drilled on the brace cracking...I called BS on this and told them to stand behind their product. They told me that they would replace it then oddly decided to take it back a day later and say to bad. The owner of my LFS who I bought it from called them up and told them that it was bull for them to be doing this and that they had drilled the tank for me and have drilled 1000s of tanks and never had this happen because of it and that drilling a tank is about as comman as putting water in it (thought that was a funny statment). They told them they would reinvestigate it and today called me and said they would replace the tank. Now while is this great news it brings a LOT of work along with it that I am not looking forward to. I am going to change the way the tank is plumbed and I am going to put a peice of HDPE in the bottom of hte tank.

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well marineland is now replacing my tank with a Reef Ready version because they said If I drilled the tank again it would void the warrenty and I am not playing that game again. I am overall happy with their support now that its over however I still think this could of been handled a lot better.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that they could have handled that much better, but I am happy that you got a positive ending!! :)

OP
OP
Cleverbs

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is on order so now I wait. Here is the plan for the tank swap. If anyone wants to make a suggestion please do so.

Steps:
1 - Pick up new tank
2 - Drain old tank
3 - Remove all Rocks and put them in a kiddy pool
4 - Paint back of new tank
5 - Put HDPE in bottom
6 - remove old tank and put new tank on stand
7 - cut holes for overflows in stand / Plumb tank
8 - Put new baffle in sump
9 - create new aquascape I think im going to use acylic rods this time and make something interesting. Not sure what.
10 - Refill tank
11 - Make sure theres no mini cycle before putting livestock back in tank
12 - Put system back online!

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the tank is on order so now I wait. Here is the plan for the tank swap. If anyone wants to make a suggestion please do so.

Steps:
1 - Pick up new tank
2 - Drain old tank
3 - Remove all Rocks and put them in a kiddy pool
4 - Paint back of new tank
5 - Put HDPE in bottom
6 - remove old tank and put new tank on stand
7 - cut holes for overflows in stand / Plumb tank
8 - Put new baffle in sump
9 - create new aquascape I think im going to use acylic rods this time and make something interesting. Not sure what.
10 - Refill tank
And put pictures on reef 2 reef

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - Pick up new tank
2 - Paint back of new tank
3A - Remove sump, keep powerheads running in display, add heater if necessary
3B - Put new baffle in sump

4 - Drain old tank
5 - Remove all Rocks and put them in a kiddy pool
6 - Put HDPE in bottom
7 - remove old tank and put new tank on stand
8 - cut holes for overflows in stand / Plumb tank
10 - Refill tank
I might consider changing a couple steps around to reduce stress. First, paint the back of new tank prior to doing anything else. Keep existing system running as is and let paint dry on new tank. Then work on the sump. Removing the sump to add a baffle won't stress the tank too much if you keep basic life support going, and silicone will take ~48 hours to cure. So I would do this step prior to really stressing out livestock by moving around at all. They won't know sumps offline for a short period of time. Also be careful with kiddie pools, they can leach out some nasty stuff (pers. comm. with curator Toledo Zoo, Jay Hemdal). Might consider letting RO/DI sit in it for a while or use rubbermaid, etc. container that's commonly used.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back