Climbing hermit crab. Is this normal

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hermit crab that has managed to climb up the side of my tank.... TWICE!!
I’m not sure how he’s doing it. There’s no rock leading up to where he gets to. The only thing I can think of that he is climbing up the adhesive on the corner of the tank where the glass panels meet.
I took him off the first time thinking he wouldn’t do it again. But I went away for a couple. Hours and now he’s back there!
Is it safe for them to be up there? What if he falls and breaks his shell? There’s no sand below him so it’s won’t be a soft landing.
It’s like he’s trying to get into the sump

I’ll post a pic of I can figure out how to... still new to this forum and salt water tanks in general

BCAA5D89-A380-4E6C-84D8-D35A0C6AB913.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's fine...nothing to worry about. If he's not happy, he'll drop and go back to the regular tank.

His shell is very strong...it won't break with him falling in the water to the bottom of the tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had hermits, they used to climb the corners of the tanks. they never made it all the way though, they always fell before they got to the top. They usually let go at feeding time

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s going for it!! Again!! Apparently this is a very fun corner of the tank!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits used to do this every night. One in a front corner. One in another.

I always figured it was just hermits being hermits

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do it all the time. Sometimes, if they are feeling lazy, they’ll hitch a ride up on the back of a snail. If their not in a corner where they can grab some silicone, they are stuck on the snail until it decides to head back down.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hermit crab that has managed to climb up the side of my tank.... TWICE!!
I’m not sure how he’s doing it. There’s no rock leading up to where he gets to. The only thing I can think of that he is climbing up the adhesive on the corner of the tank where the glass panels meet.
I took him off the first time thinking he wouldn’t do it again. But I went away for a couple. Hours and now he’s back there!
Is it safe for them to be up there? What if he falls and breaks his shell? There’s no sand below him so it’s won’t be a soft landing.
It’s like he’s trying to get into the sump

I’ll post a pic of I can figure out how to... still new to this forum and salt water tanks in general

BCAA5D89-A380-4E6C-84D8-D35A0C6AB913.jpeg
I have the same tank. They are doing the same thing in my tank

Back