Clogged pvc pipe

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so one of the intake pipes is clogged. It’s not completely clogged more like slowing down the water a lot!!. My question is what type of tool can you use to clean the pipes? I have 90• elbows that really won’t allow anything stiff through.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plumbing brushes that might work. Sponges and biofilms will grow in plumbing and turning off the flow and letting the plumbing dry out some will help clear it out but beware when you turn it on there can be a lot of gunk flushed out you'll want to remove as quickly as possible. I don't have much issue though with sponges and biofilms thcki enough to noticably slowing down water flow even in old systems so you might consider the possibility something has gotten stuck inside the plumbing.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why strategically placed unions are a good idea. There are tons of flexible pipe cleaners you can buy. With any 90 degree turn it’s going to be a bit of a pain. You could also try putting really hot water through the drain to help clear it. Shut off all plumbing, and setup a bucket to catch the hot water.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why strategically placed unions are a good idea. There are tons of flexible pipe cleaners you can buy. With any 90 degree turn it’s going to be a bit of a pain. You could also try putting really hot water through the drain to help clear it. Shut off all plumbing, and setup a bucket to catch the hot water.
I just stuck a long piece of small tubing down the pipe and I hit something about half way after about 30 minutes it finally gave and I saw it in the filter sock it was a huge clump of verminted snails!!!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back