Closed loop in a new build

Brad Tannahill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am about to start a new build. I was able to get a tank second hand that fits perfectly in my house. It is drilled for a closed loop style to go with a standard overflow sump filtration.

This excites me as I don’t like the look of any cords or equipment in my display including pumps.

So my question is, what pumps do people recommend for a closed loop system? In a perfect world I would want a pump that has a variable speed/flow so it can adjust throughout the day/evening. The closed system will have 1 intake located near the back of the tank and 2 returns at the front.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am about to start a new build. I was able to get a tank second hand that fits perfectly in my house. It is drilled for a closed loop style to go with a standard overflow sump filtration.

This excites me as I don’t like the look of any cords or equipment in my display including pumps.

So my question is, what pumps do people recommend for a closed loop system? In a perfect world I would want a pump that has a variable speed/flow so it can adjust throughout the day/evening. The closed system will have 1 intake located near the back of the tank and 2 returns at the front.

I'll be following along here, I have a brand new tank with a 4 outlet closed loop and still haven't settled on a pump for it. If your looking for out of the box control with flow patterns Sicce SDC or Ecotech Vectras are really the only two DC pumps that I've found with built in flow patterns. To my knowledge all other DC pumps (Including the most expensive options out there Abyzz and Red Dragon) require a controller (GHL, Apex and so on) to vary the flow coming from the pump in patterns.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the vote of confidence there @Hemmdog. :) Definitely not a pro, but I have used them. I can only say what I used, but my main closed loop system that ran on my 140 was put together in 2006, long before DC pumps came into the hobby.

The OP did not mention what size tank he had, but the pump I used on my 140 was a ReeFlo Dart, in conjunction with an OceansMotions 4-Way Valve. This provided strong, random flow and other than needing to replace the shaft seal a few times over 12 years of use, the pump provided years of trouble free service. I only adjusted the flow with a gate valve on the output of the pump. I did contact ReeFlo and they told me that I could reduce flow down to 40% on the output without causing any harm to the pump. The pump ran 24/7 and I saw no ill effects from doing it that way.

On my 140, I only had the drain hole drilled in the back of the tank. All four of my returns entered the tank from above - two 1" returns at the top front corners and two 1" returns at the bottom front corners. With the 4-Way Valve and the drum that I used, it triggered flow from the bottom left and the top right and then slowly switched to the opposite two returns.

Some pics of the way mine was set up. The large drain screen was hidden by the aquascaping and the two lower front returns were covered with rock rubble that was hot glued to 45° gray fittings. They eventually were covered up with GSP and Anthellia. @JoshH all my gray plumbing and fittings came from Canada & Paul at OceansMotions. :) For the bottom returns, I ran black PVC down the back wall (you can see it if you look closely) up to the lower front corners.

ReturnHeads2.jpg

ReturnHead1a.jpg

ReturnInSand.jpg

ReturnHeads7.jpg

The front returns just ran along the top sides and dipped into the front corners at the front of the tank. I also used 1" OceansMotions Omni-Flex nozzles on the upper returns. Infinitely adjustable.

screenTop4.jpg

omniflex-1.jpg

140-9-29-09.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the vote of confidence there @Hemmdog. :) Definitely not a pro, but I have used them. I can only say what I used, but my main closed loop system that ran on my 140 was put together in 2006, long before DC pumps came into the hobby.

The OP did not mention what size tank he had, but the pump I used on my 140 was a ReeFlo Dart, in conjunction with an OceansMotions 4-Way Valve. This provided strong, random flow and other than needing to replace the shaft seal a few times over 12 years of use, the pump provided years of trouble free service. I only adjusted the flow with a gate valve on the output of the pump. I did contact ReeFlo and they told me that I could reduce flow down to 40% on the output without causing any harm to the pump. The pump ran 24/7 and I saw no ill effects from doing it that way.

On my 140, I only had the drain hole drilled in the back of the tank. All four of my returns entered the tank from above - two 1" returns at the top front corners and two 1" returns at the bottom front corners. With the 4-Way Valve and the drum that I used, it triggered flow from the bottom left and the top right and then slowly switched to the opposite two returns.

Some pics of the way mine was set up. The large drain screen was hidden by the aquascaping and the two lower front returns were covered with rock rubble that was hot glued to 45° gray fittings. They eventually were covered up with GSP and Anthellia. @JoshH all my gray plumbing and fittings came from Canada & Paul at OceansMotions. :) For the bottom returns, I ran black PVC down the back wall (you can see it if you look closely) up to the lower front corners.

ReturnHeads2.jpg

ReturnHead1a.jpg

ReturnInSand.jpg

ReturnHeads7.jpg

The front returns just ran along the top sides and dipped into the front corners at the front of the tank. I also used 1" OceansMotions Omni-Flex nozzles on the upper returns. Infinitely adjustable.

screenTop4.jpg
omniflex-1.jpg
140-9-29-09.jpg
Wow!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using closed loops for years. On my current 450, I run a Vectra M1 running through an OceansMotion diverting device and then a pair of VCA flow nozzles. Vectra is a good choice of pump for me as I can automatically adjust flow throughout the day with ReefLink. So far Vectra has performed flawless for over 4 years.

I don't use it to replace broad flow powerheads, rather as a complement to.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I will be setting up a 6' x 3' x 2' tank, where should the holes be drilled in the tank? Can they be drilled in the back of the tank?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I will be setting up a 6' x 3' x 2' tank, where should the holes be drilled in the tank? Can they be drilled in the back of the tank?

If it's a custom tank they can be drilled where ever you would like. When I laid mine out I thought of what style of rock work I wanted and planned my flow around that. This is what dictated the placement of my holes.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can holes be drilled if there is multiple panes of glass on the bottom of the tank?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can holes be drilled if there is multiple panes of glass on the bottom of the tank?

They certainly can be assuming the glass isn't already tempered. There would have to be a uniform silicone seal around the hole between the two panes of glass first though. Why multiple panes of glass on the bottom of a tank?

And I'll also add, when I said earlier as long as its custom I meant a new custom build. I would be very wary of drilling an already built custom tank unless you spoke directly with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My builder likes to overbuild their tanks, Elos uses multiple panes as well. this is a Crystal Dynamic tank. Can you have a closed off the back of the tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back