CLOSED LOOP PUMP

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DD300 and i recently made my own Closed Loop style flow system , i used 3/4 PVC with a "Y " lock line on the top and on the bottom for each corner for a total of 8 lines directing water . I have it pulling water out and down the back from a JEBAO DCQ-8000 pump and back up the back to the lines ..... Now this pump is supposed to push 2600 plus gallons at a max of 14' head ...... im at maybe 5' head and this is just barely pushing water ???? what other pump would anyone recommend that will push a fair amount of water ? I have a basement sump so i can run either external or internal pump , however an internal pump will have about 10' of head.

Thanks

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The default that most people use is the reeflo dart pumps, hammerhead etc... I've never used one, but their seals will wear out; so make sure you have good quality ball valves in front of them. I have some Jebao powerheads; but I'd be suspicious of putting them to work against a hard load like a closed loop. I have 2 Sicce pumps for returns and they've been very reliable and quiet. If you can get an external pump, it won't dump as much heat from the pump blocks.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a DD300 and i recently made my own Closed Loop style flow system , i used 3/4 PVC with a "Y " lock line on the top and on the bottom for each corner for a total of 8 lines directing water . I have it pulling water out and down the back from a JEBAO DCQ-8000 pump and back up the back to the lines ..... Now this pump is supposed to push 2600 plus gallons at a max of 14' head ...... im at maybe 5' head and this is just barely pushing water ???? what other pump would anyone recommend that will push a fair amount of water ? I have a basement sump so i can run either external or internal pump , however an internal pump will have about 10' of head.

Thanks
Can you post a picture. Maybe that will show where your loss is at.
I setup a closed loop several years ago with a Reeflo Dart/Snapper. It has 1 suction bulkhead in the back with 4 returns which have the loc-line Y's with dual nozzles. Flow was great but the noise wasn't.
I switched to a Red Dragon 150 watt and have been much happier.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The default that most people use is the reeflo dart pumps, hammerhead etc... I've never used one, but their seals will wear out; so make sure you have good quality ball valves in front of them. I have some Jebao powerheads; but I'd be suspicious of putting them to work against a hard load like a closed loop. I have 2 Sicce pumps for returns and they've been very reliable and quiet. If you can get an external pump, it won't dump as much heat from the pump blocks.

Im using The REEFLO Hammerhead for a main return ... expensive to run , didn't want to really go that route with another one ??

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are getting close to the full 2600GPH, with 8 outlets that would be 325 gph (per outlet if you have even flow throughout). I know you said you are at a 5' head height and I'm also assuming most of the outlets have elbows on them. So taking all that into account your flow is most likely even less than the 325 gph (per outlet). You might have to use less outlets or add another pump to get the flow you're looking for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture. Maybe that will show where your loss is at.
I setup a closed loop several years ago with a Reeflo Dart/Snapper. It has 1 suction bulkhead in the back with 4 returns which have the loc-line Y's with dual nozzles. Flow was great but the noise wasn't.
I switched to a Red Dragon 150 watt and have been much happier.
i can later , but its pretty straight forward , my pump is in the stand , comes straight up the back to a "T" , one line goes to the left and the other to the right and down along the overflow box ... will try and get a pic up later

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Assuming you are getting close to the full 2600GPH, with 8 outlets that would be 325 gph (per outlet). I know you said you are at a 5' head height and I'm also assuming most of the outlets have elbows on them. So taking all that into account your flow is most likely even less than the 325 gph (per outlet). You might have to use less outlets or add another pump to get the flow you're looking for.
I didn't even think to do the math. Good catch.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ampmaster is a good choice. They are more reliable than a Sequence/ReeFlo and very powerful. You can get then with 10+ year warranty seals and stuff.

DC pumps are a joke for this outside of Abyzz or maybe a Red Dragon - and they will use 200+ watts as well as the initial purchase price.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you see some ampmasters in the for sale section here that are not selling, so check there first and then PM the seller if they are not marked as sold and the listing is old.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the major factors in our pumps flow rates is the proper size of pipe.

I have a Varios 8 Rated at 2700 gallons.
I started with a 1 inch return line with a head height at 5 feet a 90 and two 45s.
My flow rate was 800 gph.
Swapped it for 1-1/2 that the pump was designed for an my GPH went up to 1380.
So close to a 600gph difference.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really clear on how you have this setup .... a picture(s) would help. If you have head pressure then it’s not a closed loop. CL will have some friction losses (perhaps that is what you mean) but no actual head differentials. I’ve no recent experience with Jebao pumps, but most of the current DC models don’t take kindly to excessive friction. Too many Ys or splits and locline particularly will kill flow.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 " is WAY too small. I'm willing to bet the pump outlet is Minimum 1" or larger. If you want flow DO NOT reduce the outlet plumbing. Like ca1ore said Dc pumps do NOT like head pressure.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 " is WAY too small. I'm willing to bet the pump outlet is Minimum 1" or larger. If you want flow DO NOT reduce the outlet plumbing. Like ca1ore said Dc pumps do NOT like head pressure.

The output on the pump came with a few different adapters , 3/4 nipples were the smallest ones .... so your saying the output pipe should be bigger for more flow ??

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, & that will include the piping also.
A closed loop should be all about flow.
Only reduce @ the last possible place IF you have to.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really clear on how you have this setup .... a picture(s) would help. If you have head pressure then it’s not a closed loop. CL will have some friction losses (perhaps that is what you mean) but no actual head differentials. I’ve no recent experience with Jebao pumps, but most of the current DC models don’t take kindly to excessive friction. Too many Ys or splits and locline particularly will kill flow.

SORRY FOR THE ROUGH SCETCH , IT IS NOT A TRUE CLOSED LOOP SYSTEM , BUT SIMILAR AS IM JUST PULLING WATER AND PUSHING IT

Attachments

• PLUMBING FOR REEF.pdf
    221.5 KB · Views: 196

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8000lph pump is going to trickle water out with all those line loc Y's. No way that pump is going to cut it. Just adding 4-5ft of head and 1 3/4" line-loc Y with wide nozzles and the flow will be low from my experience. You have what appears to be 4 line-loc Y's with a few 90's in line.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8000lph pump is going to trickle water out with all those line loc Y's. No way that pump is going to cut it. Just adding 4-5ft of head and 1 3/4" line-loc Y with wide nozzles and the flow will be low from my experience. You have what appears to be 4 line-loc Y's with a few 90's in line.
EXACTLY ! Soooo what pump would you suggest based on the set up i have ? not lookung to blast water but move some like a powerhead would ?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Thanks
I hope the suction line isn't 3/4".

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back