'Closed loop' sand vac

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a daily auto-water change, I very rarely do a manual water change - but occasionally give a vac to my sandbed and filter through a python syphon to a large fine filter sock in my sump. Works great, although it clogs after a few minutes. Wondering if anyone has a better solution for this?

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same with a sock in the sump, and it does end up clogging and I end up taking out more sand than I would prefer... following.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The only solution I have found is to replace the sock when it clogs. When I vacuum sand I have 2-3 socks prepared in advance

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps some kind of settling chamber prior to the sock?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread for any updates. I am thinking of a couple of options and would appreciate any thoughts. First, how is the python to filter sock in the sump working for anyone? Second, would running the python into a canister filter and then returning to the sump work better to justify the $$$ of a small canister?

shakalnalgal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, it's been a year since you posted this and I hope you've found an even better solution by now. But if you're still on the lookout, I remember coming across some folks having success with a few different setups to handle sandbed cleaning without too much hassle.
While this might seem off-topic, I've also come across people using vacuums like Tineco for various cleaning applications. It's funny because there's this article about why is Tineco leaving streaks and it often comes down to maintenance, like keeping rollers free of debris. It's not directly related to your sandbed problem, but it reminded me of the importance of regular upkeep and ensuring our equipment is in top condition for optimal performance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back