Closed Loop.. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering why I don't see many reefers utilizing this method. Was this a fad at one point? Or does this have some merit?

David

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it's because powerheads push much more water volume and easier to setup.

Exactly. I had one on my 75 and really liked it, was a Reefflo Dart with a Oceans Motions. It pushed about 2500 gallons an hour is all, although everything thrived. The pump noise of that system in my living room caused me to utilize Vortechs for my current tank.

If all my vortechs were 100% at the same time they could push 31,000 gallons/hr. They won’t though because I have half of them anti-sync with each other.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops can work very well, it's just that powerheads became powerful and small enough that they are the preferred choice for most. The ability to move them at will makes them attractive. Once you set up a closed loop, you're pretty locked in to the flow it can provide.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering why I don't see many reefers utilizing this method. Was this a fad at one point? Or does this have some merit?

David

The CL certainly was a popular way to generate chaotic flow in a reef tank. As were all kinds of other devices like Carlson surge, dump buckets and sea-swirls. You’ll see some more tenured reefers still using those, but most more recently to the hobby use power heads. Modern power heads are light years ahead of their predecessors, and move a lot of water for not a lot of power. But, you’re stuck with an ugly black box on the side of the tank. I would not bother with a CL on a small tank, but I think they are worth considering on a large one. Modern adjustable DC flow pumps are ideal for a CL - variable flow, quiet and economical in low pressure applications. I run one on my 450 and am quite happy with it.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads can be a big problem for an anemone that decides to take a walk! The intakes for my CL are a lot safer...(I think)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used cl many years ago and loved them. the smaller power heads are more energy efficient and don’t require extra drilling and such. but i love the clean look.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got into reefering a couple years ago and honestly, the sight of the powerheads in such beautiful tanks seemed quite unsightly. But I do see the point of versatility out weighing the visual aspects of the powerheads now.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your join date obscures your experience, which I believe extends beyond my birthdate.
Guilty, can't fool you young uns!
Fish keeping since the 1950s, saltwater since '73, reefs since 80's...
Apologies, not sure about your birthdate.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads can be a big problem for an anemone that decides to take a walk!

Yes, that mag would make a BIG mess .......

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still quite popular in large tanks. Even the strongest powerhead can struggle in 500 gallons of water, or more - an MP60 or Tunze 6200 will fizzle out 3 or 4 feet into this much water. With the trend towards AIO, nanos and pre-boxed setups like Red Sea Reefer, and the like, putting in a CL does not make a lot of sense.

I plan to use one in my 10x3x3 build... it is about the only way to move as much water as I need. Eductors can double the output if you have a pump that can really push. Get ready for your mind to be blown, but a few 6200 Tunzes on Sea Swirls will be in here too.

I have a friend with a 12x4x4 tank and he uses Mag 18s as power heads... those get the job done.

If you decide on a CL, then use unions everywhere, but especially on both sides of the pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads won't work easily on my next plywood build, they still have their place IMO.

Why is that? Magnets will work through plywood. You can always make a cutout if walls are too thick.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? Magnets will work through plywood. You can always make a cutout if walls are too thick.
No magnets I've run into won't penetrate the 3/4 plus epoxy on my sump, and I'd probably devise an acrylic shelf to mount a power head on before I thinned the wood personally. Easier to drill and epoxy some holes, and cheaper too if the tank is as big as I hope!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger power heads will - WAV and Mp60.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use closed loops and, If I were going longer than 5 feet in the future would again. Especially if it were plywood.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger power heads will - WAV and Mp60.
Hmm, I didn't feel like my wavs would hold tight enough when I tried them out to see. There is 1/4" epoxy on the walls (pour method) or maybe I am being paranoid about them moving??

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back