Reliable, low-wattage pump for closed loop system?

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently joined the forum. I'm a relatively experienced FW/planted tank aquarist, running a 5' WaterBox 6025. My tank is going well enough but one of my large (FX-series) filters is starting to make more noise than I'd like. I changed out the impeller on it, and cleaned the impeller-motor interface, and that didn't fix the issue, so it appears to be a motor problem. Looking at the price of a replacement Fluval FX6 motor, I went down the rabbit hole of not replacing the motor but instead, buying a variable speed, DC pump. I've inquired with several different posters on here in the classifieds but unfortunately they had been sold.

My understanding, from engaging with people who keep both, is that pumps used for saltwater purposes have a significantly harder life than those that live in FW. So, what better place to ask than a reefkeeping forum?

So, here are what I'm working with and what I desire.

1) Closed loop. Theoretically, head height of 0ft. Just the friction of the pipes and bends. From where it would be mounted to the top of the aquarium is ~4ft. All of the plumbing is soft (silicone tubing), aside from the inlet and outlet pipes, which are 3/4" PVC.
2) I'd like to keep the wattage at 50w or less. We don't run the A/C much in the summer time and I'd rather not dump any extra energy into the water if I can avoid it. My tank's heater only came on at night during the months of July and August last summer. 76F or bust! This is one reason I'm not considering something like an Iwaki; they use too much energy and that goes into the water.
3) I'd like to be able to adjust the output. And this the biggest thing: I don't have a good idea of how much it currently puts out. Manufacturer rates the pump itself at 925gph and the filter (accounting for media, tubing, and set up under an aquarium) at 563gph at 43w.
4) I'm after a VERY long lasting pump. I don't want to think about it, or hear it. I'd like to open it up once a year, if that. Given my water conditions (out of the tap here is <100ppm and my KH is 1.5 or so; very soft water), I think that's pretty reasonable.
5) I will keep the other canister running as-is for redundancy. I will not plumb them both together.
6) I don't need it to be part of an "ecosystem" like APEX or similar. I just want it to run, flawlessly, for years.

Options I'm considering:

1) Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon ECO 5 25w.
2) Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon X40.
3) Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0.

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red dragon eco 5
I really like mine, it’s super quiet. I use it as a return pump and a red dragon 230 watt for closed loop. You can’t go wrong with a red dragon pump.

OP
OP
J

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main worry with the ECO 5 is that it might not have enough raw power to get ~500-600gph, through a canister filter, with five total 90 degree bends on the inlet and outlet sides.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my eco 5 through nine 1” 90’s, 42’ of 1” pipe, through a UV sterilizer and a 1 hp chiller before it dumps into the display tank. It has plenty of power. I run mine at about 70 watts. It goes to 130 watts. If you run too high of watts and theres too much back-pressure i feel like its a waste of energy and hard on the pump.

OP
OP
J

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense. Buying a larger pump than needed and running at 50% capacity is a good route. Would enhance the lifetime of the pump while also allowing for some upward flexibility if needed.

One thing about RE RD pumps...they make so many of them that it's hard to know what I should get. I'll be getting a larger pump (80w+) but...which one?

As an example: Is there a difference in the quality and durability in the X series vs the 3 or 5 series?

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red dragon eco 5 130 watt is what i have. I cannot speak to the X series, as i have not ran the german engineered Chinese manufactured pumps.
I can tell you that my 230 watt red dragon and eco 5 are almost silent. I run bubble king skimmer with Red dragon pump it is silent as well.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like they are well built. Wish i could demo one of the ECM hydra 42 models. I have an 8’ long in wall tank. It’s tough to get good flow in it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that you really want a low wattage CL pump. You need some power or else you won't get any velocity.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because of the amount of effort to take this pump of line to clean I recommend a pump with titanium internal components like the Red Dragon pumps

OP
OP
J

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that you really want a low wattage CL pump. You need some power or else you won't get any velocity.

To be clear:

I'm posting a planted, FW tank question on a saltwater/reefing forum. Basically, I'm trying to leverage the equipment-related experience you guys have to find an exceptionally durable pump.

My tank has ~120gallons; I only need/want 900-1000gph of actual turnover. With something like an ECO 5 130w, I could run it at ~45w and still get 1000gph out of it, while powering all of the accessories.

Last edited:

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear:

I'm posting a planted, FW tank question on a saltwater/reefing forum. Basically, I'm trying to leverage the equipment-related experience you guys have to find an exceptionally durable pump.

My tank has ~120gallons; I only need/want 900-1000gph of actual turnover. With something like an ECO 5 130w, I could run it at ~45w and still get 1000gph out of it, while powering all of the accessories.
Do it you will not be disappointed.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I’ve been running mine for a few years. Haven’t needed any parts.
Royal exclusiv has really good service so it shouldn’t be an issue. If your concerned then you could always email them through usa site.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used red dragon x on the used forum here and I really like it .. Very quiet and cool controller .. I don’t think you would be disappointed..

OP
OP
J

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that saltwater/reef tanks run like 25,000-35,000ppm TDS. Wow.

I’m guessing one of these pumps will be OK with once-yearly maintenance in my 100-125ppm planted tank.

OP
OP
J

jaskeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another dumb question:

If you have a Red Dragon pump on a timer and have it restart twice a day, will it restart on the same wattage?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another dumb question:

If you have a Red Dragon pump on a timer and have it restart twice a day, will it restart on the same wattage?
I know you asked this question last month, but I have talked with the Scott Leif who is with RE about different Red Dragon pumps, specifically the 80 watt-100 watt and the 150 watt versions, and I'm really sure you don't want to use a time to run any of the RD pumps on a timer.
He told me the correct way to shut down these pumps was to lower the speed/watts until it's 0, then shut off the power.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back