Status
Not open for further replies.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well small warning but since these TUBES don't apply.. what's the issue..

Again from the SAME author..

Why are you purposefully ignoring that?
I'm not. Problem is you quoted halides and that... I'm just explaining my answers to you.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways... I love VHOs guys. I gotta go work. Have a great day.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION was about matching spectrums, no more no less, you and jda made it a crusade and a religion,,
btw thanks for the (pointless) travelogue earlier..

I agree. I have been avoiding reef2reef the past couple weeks as It seems to be getting nasty. Figured would come back today, saw this thread and thought “oh I remember those, be interesting to see someone post the spectrum”... silly me

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how close radions are to the super actinics? Preferably without my head getting bit off? lol

Really???..................... LOL..
Anyways in the newest versions (g6) there are enough "blue/violet" channels to make almost any look.
Problem of course comes in power losses when you start dimming or cutting out channels..

OP
OP
T

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CCauthers you can tune them for decent am / pm and I've not seen the newest in person. G4 can give pop, just not Super Actinic level IMO. If you want it throughout the day, a bar or tube is better so you're not dimming other channels too much.

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOW you use MARKETING?
How funny is that!

STILL waiting for proof of UV from VHO tubes..preferably w/ numbers..

THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION was about matching spectrums, no more no less, you and jda made it a crusade and a religion,,
btw thanks for the (pointless) travelogue earlier..
It’s disturbing to see that some halide lovers seem to be from some cult than being mere hobbyists. Anyway, it’s been proven time and again that other lighting forms can keep corals thriving and that seems to grate on these halide types.

Last edited by a moderator:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s disturbing to see that some halide lovers seem to be from some cult than being mere hobbyists. Anyway, it’s been proven time and again that other lighting forms can keep corals thriving and that seems to grate on these halide types.
Should we call the LED lovers a cult too?

Last edited by a moderator:

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaaand ladies and gentlemen we're off! The war between LEDs and MH has officially started!

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we call the LED lovers a cult too?
Call them what you like. Any decent lighting works well. Attempting to prove the superiority of one over another is a complete waste of time. Personally, I don’t see any LED lovers continuously posting about how great LED lights are over other types of lighting.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does the UVL T-5 compare to the UVL VHO?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call them what you like. Any decent lighting works well. Attempting to prove the superiority of one over another is a complete waste of time. Personally, I don’t see any LED lovers continuously posting about how great LED lights are over other types of lighting.
Yea, but they wouldn't call MH lovers a cult. It doesn't work like that. We don't call people "what we like".
We know there are different preferences, but they aren't cults.
I've never said metal halides are "superior" than LEDs without setting the particular reason why. There are things that LEDs are "superior". They are just different and will be forever. One does not substitute the other. With different results, people can choose what results they like the best.
To pretend you don't see LED lovers continuously posting how great LEDs are over other types of light is a joke to say the least! I'm sorry. Either you don't read this forum or you are kidding me. Even some of the LED advertisements do that in a dirty way. There is nothing wrong in posting what you believe works best for you. The respect and freedom of speech is mutual.
Check my messages and see that the only times I actually visited, or opened a thread to discuss LEDs was to help people. This is not a war. It's a matter of posting the facts and trying to prove with science when we can.

Last edited:

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any decent lighting works well.
I really dislike these LED vs M/H vs T5 battles, which wasnt even what this thread was about lol, but when i hear lines like that, well then that's fine if you just want decent and something to work well. The main theme here is the guys that defend M/H and T5s are usually the guys growing SPS or Acro dominant tanks and dont want to settle for "decent", or for "grows coral fine". They're growing Acros, usually high demanding ones, not zoas, or euphyllia or mushrooms and they are not looking to compromise one ounce with things like spectrum, blending, spread, output.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dislike these LED vs M/H vs T5 battles, which wasnt even what this thread was about lol, but when i hear lines like that, well then that's fine if you just want decent and something to work well. The main theme here is the guys that defend M/H and T5s are usually the guys growing SPS or Acro dominant tanks and dont want to settle for "decent", or for "grows coral fine". They're growing Acros, usually high demanding ones, not zoas, or euphyllia or mushrooms and they are not looking to compromise one ounce with things like spectrum, blending, spread, output.
My reef tank with halides/T5s has only zoanthids.
You are correct saying that the guys who defend metal halides and T5s want to set the difference between "decent" or many times "just fine" growth. That extends to colors, colony structure, spread, uniformity and metabolism. It is important to remember that not everyone sees things like that. we are all different. And the differences between the types of light exist and they won't go away, my friends. If you prefer the visual results from LEDs you probably won't be happy with halides/T5s/VHOs. Simple as that.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank with halides/T5s has only zoanthids.
You are correct saying that the guys who defend metal halides and T5s want to set the difference between "decent" or many times "just fine" growth. That extends to colors, colony structure, spread, uniformity and metabolism. It is important to remember that not everyone sees things like that. we are all different. And the differences between the types of light exist and they won't go away, my friends. If you prefer the visual results from LEDs you probably won't be happy with halides/T5s/VHOs. Simple as that.

You’re savvy enough. Do none of the major aquaculturists ship to Hawaii? Are you limited only to what can be collected? Why no sps?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the work for you..
Most will b UV "spillover" from 400nm...
That's at 4 1/2 inchs from the source..
.4W/meter ... nothing to write home about is it?
IN 440W of tubes..
400nm diode can push that..
fig1.jpg

both sides can cherry pick what they want out of this article.. ;)
Chart of 2 super actinic whites and plain super actinics..

Coral Coloration and UV Radiation
It is quite popular to believe that increased coral coloration is a response, at least in part, to UV radiation. Our experiences indicate that some corals will turn green as a response to increased UV. However, we have observed many corals (especially Acroporids, Pocilloporids, etc) exhibiting vivid coloration when maintained for years under conditions of practically no UV (~1 µW UV-A; <1 µW UV-B). Figures 12 and 13 show two Acropora specimens maintained under such low UV levels (however, visible light – PAR – levels were quite high).

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re savvy enough. Do none of the major aquaculturists ship to Hawaii? Are you limited only to what can be collected? Why no sps?
Law, my friend. We have kids and want to teach the right thing to the next generation. No corals at home. All we've got here is artificial live rocks "seeded" with organisms from the ocean and zoanthids collected legally with my aquarium permit. My experiences with SPS were out of the house with scientific permit or in the field enjoying the ultimate nutural light source. You guys are so lucky to be able to have Acros in your house. That's the only thing I can't.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Law, my friend. We have kids and want to teach the right thing to the next generation. No corals at home. All we've got here is artificial live rocks "seeded" with organisms from the ocean and zoanthids collected legally with my aquarium permit. My experiences with SPS were out of the house with scientific permit or in the field enjoying the ultimate nutural light source. You guys are so lucky to be able to have Acros in your house. That's the only thing I can't.
Have you attempted any of the local variety of porites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 148 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back