Cloudy Cycle

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for about two weeks now. I started with dry rock and sand, and began the cycle with Dr. Tim’s. However, the tank has been cloudy since the first couple of days of beginning the cycle. I suspect it’s some sort of bacterial bloom. Is this something that I should just let ride out? I don’t recall having this issue on prior tanks.

I’ve seen other threads that recommend using a UV sterilizer, but I don’t want to go that route.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for about two weeks now. I started with dry rock and sand, and began the cycle with Dr. Tim’s. However, the tank has been cloudy since the first couple of days of beginning the cycle. I suspect it’s some sort of bacterial bloom. Is this something that I should just let ride out? I don’t recall having this issue on prior tanks.

I’ve seen other threads that recommend using a UV sterilizer, but I don’t want to go that route.

I also used Dr. Tim's when I started my current tank so I am familiar with the process.

Is your pump moving water around the tank? Do you have LR in the tank or is it dead rock?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used Dr. Tim's when I started my current tank so I am familiar with the process.

Is your pump moving water around the tank? Do you have LR in the tank or is it dead rock?

I do have a return pump, which is a Sicce 0.5, and it’s rated at 185gph. I also have two EcoTech VorTechs at 20% each. I started with dry rock from a LFS and live sand from Caribsea.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a return pump, which is a Sicce 0.5, and it’s rated at 185gph. I also have two EcoTech VorTechs at 20% each. I started with dry rock from a LFS and live sand from Caribsea.

Did you rinse and clean all the sand until the water ran clear or did you just put it inside the tank?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse and clean all the sand until the water ran clear or did you just put it inside the tank?

I didn’t rinse the sand. With that said, the cloudiness started before I added the sand. I started out bare-bottom, and the cloudiness was present. It was only a few days later that I decided to add sand for aesthetic reasons.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t rinse the sand. With that said, the cloudiness started before I added the sand. I started out bare-bottom, and the cloudiness was present. It was only a few days later that I decided to add sand for aesthetic reasons.

Nitrates then.

The cloudy water is a bacteria boom. Just give it time for the nitrate bacteria to build up in your live rock. Take it slow your good.

Some ways to reduce or remove Nitrates long term after your cycle is done:

1 remote dsb (if you have one)
2 carbon dosing
3 Boipellets
4 Macro algue
5 Water changes

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates then.

The cloudy water is a bacteria boom. Just give it time for the nitrate bacteria to build up in your live rock. Take it slow your good.

Some ways to reduce or remove Nitrates long term after your cycle is done:

1 remote dsb (if you have one)
2 carbon dosing
3 Boipellets
4 Macro algue
5 Water changes

I appreciate your insight. I plan on getting a Pax Bellum algae reactor within the next few months, so that should definitely help with nutrient export. I haven’t tested nitrates yet because that wasn’t part of the Dr. Tim’s steals up to this point. I’ll let it ride out and do a large water change after the cycle has finished.

Thanks again!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your insight. I plan on getting a Pax Bellum algae reactor within the next few months, so that should definitely help with nutrient export. I haven’t tested nitrates yet because that wasn’t part of the Dr. Tim’s steals up to this point. I’ll let it ride out and do a large water change after the cycle has finished.

Thanks again!

Ya your water should be clear soon you just need to wait it out. Did you add anything in addition to Dr. Tim's? I also added a dead shrimp to the tank while it was cycling as well.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya your water should be clear soon you just need to wait it out. Did you add anything in addition to Dr. Tim's? I also added a dead shrimp to the tank while it was cycling as well.

No, I didn’t add anything in addition to the Dr. Tim’s except for their ammonium chloride.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn’t add anything in addition to the Dr. Tim’s except for their ammonium chloride.

Ya I'm not sure if its required but I remember adding a nice sized shrimp as well. Gave my CUC a nice snack when they were introduced they ate it in no time.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it is just bacteria bloom. I have experienced this phase in every tank I set up. You can wait for it to balance out which could take a few weeks. Or you can run a skimmer which will clear out the water in a day or two. I doubt it had anything to do with nitrate because many people have high nitrate but very few of them have cloudy water.
A UV will definitely help but since you don’t want to run one, I’d go with a good skimmer.

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nick
Going back on this thread did it ever clear up on its own ?

I’m almost a week into my cycle with dr.tims and the water won’t clear . I thought for sure the skimmer would take care of it but not really:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve fed with ammonia and bottle bac, and it’s been a week, you can change out your water it’s cycled. Bottle bac deposits on the rocks and sand by that length of time Dr Reefs thread shows (compare and measure full water change cycle across brands of bac)

For 2020, we don’t have to wait until clouding clears, we can force it clear. If the tank is huge / not practical to change out then waiting isn’t harmful.

once ammonia moves down from a higher setpoint, within 24 hours, that’s cycled and permanently immune to full water changes. Cycles cannot be undone by full water changes, they stick in place and testing ammonia alone helps you be sure it’s ready for the big change.

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 750 xxl v3 i just started with dr tims and his ammonia chloride. Mine is cloudy now I have a 58watt UV but I thought not to do that during the first few weeks. I also plan to run tank for at least 1 month with no fish anyone have suggestions on when and how much ammonia to add after 1 week it says it's cycled and for 3 more weeks I know I need to add some to feed it? I also plan on no lights for 2 months and no coral for at least 3 months. I already have a 75-gallon system that has been up for two years so it doesn't bother me to hang in there. But once this 160 is ready the 75 is coming down apex and trident going on the new one.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way to see it is after a week of dosing bottle bac plus ammonia, you can change all the water and the bacteria stick to surfaces and you can begin, its how all these reefs were able to be set up at the convention on time (none varied, or stalled, or missed being fully ready at the start date)

theyre setting up faster than a week; the final proof of being ready is when ammonia moves down from a set point initial dose. The only mechanism to remove ammonia out of the water this quickly without adsorption media is nitrification, that’s how ammonia moving down proves the cycle is ready. If the tank has rocks and sand, good to go

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to keep the bacteria alive after the first week no fish for a month? Does anyone know how much ammonia and how often?

Back