Cloudy tank killing fish

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, about 2 weeks ago after i did a water change, the tank would get cloudy during the day. It clears up by mid afternoon but every morning its cloudy again. I tried multiple things including a water change, adjusting the filter, and most recently i started dosing microbacter7 to see if that would help. Last night i saw some damage on my longnose hawkfish's right eye and this morning he was dead. I tested the water and nitrate nitrite ammonia and phosphate all came up as 0ppm and i noticed my ph went from 8.2 to 8. My calcium is around 400ppm because i stopped dosing after the cloudiness began. So im wondering what might be up with my tank so if anyone knows whats wrong or how to help fix it that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210718_124647.mp4
    33.2 MB

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why am asking

Folks have a direct fear of large water changes they feel it’s destabilizing

but counter to that, home move threads using our method run fifty pages with 100% of reefs emerging in the new home as sparkling, clean perfect reefs and happy owners

from the bottom of the sand to the top, the tank is just perfect and as a side result the water is laser clear. On a nano nobody says you have to move homes, you are allowed to do the cleaning as the tank sits

you have a way to fix your tank in three hours back to laser clear, and to guess that it would be harmful or unideal wouldn’t match the outcomes of our tank move threads. Other options are test, dose, wait, more stress. Ours is no stress on animals, three hours of cleaning, laser clean tank. A perfect outcome

do you want to mess around more with it, or command a result by four pm today

large tankers dont have it as easy as nano owners do, getting thirty gallons of water is easy. By having all its water replaced the water issue is fixed, and for once you won’t be pouring back over dirty sand (You may have a bac bloom, which cleaning fixes too)

if your issue is precipitate, it fixes that too. Precipitates are solids, we remove solids during rip cleans

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a small UV sterilizer with built in pump may take care of your problem, just place inside tank.

Upvote 0

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this thread. I suspect it is bacteria and you need to be concerned with oxygen levels for the fish.

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why am asking

but counter to that, home move threads using our method run fifty pages with 100% of reefs emerging in the new home as sparkling, clean perfect reefs and happy owners

from the bottom of the sand to the top, the tank is just perfect and as a side result the water is laser clear. On a nano nobody says you have to move homes, you are allowed to do the cleaning as the tank sits

you have a way to fix your tank in three hours back to laser clear, and to guess that it would be harmful or unideal wouldn’t match the outcomes of our tank move threads. Other options are test, dose, wait, more stress. Ours is no stress on animals, three hours of cleaning, laser clean tank. A perfect outcome

large tankers dont have it as easy as nano owners do, getting thirty gallons of water is easy. By having all its water replaced the water issue is fixed, and for once you won’t be pouring back over dirty sand (You may have a bac bloom, which cleaning fixes too)

if your issue is precipitate, it fixes that too. Precipitates are solids, we remove solids during rip cleans
Hi Brandon. It can't be precipitates if it blooms only when the lights come on. I think it's bacterial bloom. Of course I may be wrong.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why am asking

So i just need to clean the tank more, or is it something else‽ i dont really know

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this thread. I suspect it is bacteria and you need to be concerned with oxygen levels for the fish.

It does seem like bacterial bloom, so does a uv sterilizer fix the problem?

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I recommend

wait until you have tried all other options first. ours is not a partial or half hearted attempt, its full tank cleaning by taking the tank apart. most folks do not want their tanks fixed by 3 pm they want to try less work for months. message me if the other options dont work out and ill show you recent job examples.

again when I mention taking the tank apart, that can't be construed as bad, harmful or indecent reefing. its simply how to clean correctly, mixing waste with pour in water isn't really cleaning much. we dont have fifty pages of bad outcome reefs in the tank move thread, its fifty pages of the brightest reefs possible by 3 pm today so the takeaway from taking your tank apart and cleaning would be that it would turn out good; not bad

but not done your way, has to be our way. using our ordered steps.

those who did home move cleaning had different motivation; they were up against a true timeline. you can try other options first and fall back on this one easily.

two perfect examples of rip cleans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Catfish31504

Catfish31504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a small UV sterilizer with built in pump may take care of your problem, just place inside tank.

Yes it will. Will also prevent the bacteria from multiplying. I use it in my fresh and reef tanks.
Okay ill look into getting one, my tank is a fluval flex so im not sure how well one will fit. Thank you

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ill look into getting one, my tank is a fluval flex so im not sure how well one will fit. Thank you
They are small so I am sure you can just place it inside your tank and remove it when water clears up. Make sure you clean the UV with hot water before using again.

Upvote 0

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water becoming cloudy during the day, zero nutrients, and drops in alkalinity and/or PH (due to the nitrification)…. All signs point to a bacterial bloom.

As mentioned above a small UV, such as the $50 unit from Petco, can solve this “problem”. I say “problem” because I would normally expect this to naturally subside. How long has this system been running?

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back