Cloudy water clarification

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I fed my coral in my 2 gallon pico tank and I was already dosing ammonia and alkalinity. But all of a sudden my water turned the milky white. And from what I understand is that I a bacteria from to much organic waste in the tank right? Or is it some king of by product of ammonia?

B1DCC538-3698-4D27-BF7B-63DC5945A42C.jpeg

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing ammonia?
Because no matter how much I feed with just letting food brake down in the tank I couldn’t get nitrates for the life of me and my phosphates would go up. Funny thing is I wouldn’t have any ammonia or no2 in the tank ither.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah...not sure you need to dose anything as your tank looks good but if you are going to dose, I would get a nitrate additive and not use ammonia as it's toxic as well as the nitrite. Now, I doubt you damage anything with small doses of NH3 but why chance it.

And yes, likely the cloudiness is a bacteria bloom. It should go away on it's own and the ammonia could be contributing factor.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because no matter how much I feed with just letting food brake down in the tank I couldn’t get nitrates for the life of me and my phosphates would go up. Funny thing is I wouldn’t have any ammonia or no2 in the tank ither.

Ammonia is not something you should dose. You can dose nitrate, but ammonia is not good for corals or really anything in the tank.

You'd be better off dosing amino acids

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of dosing ammonia, (aside from cycling) but I guess it’s ok in tiny amounts. Are you sure your test kits are ok? Did the tank cycle normally?

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of dosing ammonia, (aside from cycling) but I guess it’s ok in tiny amounts. Are you sure your test kits are ok? Did the tank cycle normally?
Ya the tank has been up for 4 months and it cycled just fine with the Assad ammonia and bacteria additive. I could trace the process

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the api test kit(I know it isn’t the best). Should my ammonia test come out cloudy too? Like it’s a yellow cloudy?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back to the cloudy water part, just get a UV sterilizer, will give you crystal clear water in a day or two

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that I did do a 40% water change and then a 60% water change after that will that still be okay for my coral?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing ammonia is only going to cause huge problems .
The cloudiness could be bacterial bloom
Could also be alk you’re dosing .
or a combination of the alk and ammonia .

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is new and empty. I doubt you need to dose anything at all.
As per nitrate levels if you want it to present just buy ready mixed nitrate solution for it or mix your own.

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is new and empty. I doubt you need to dose anything at all.
As per nitrate levels if you want it to present just buy ready mixed nitrate solution for it or mix your own.
Ya my LFS Didn’t let me know if that option or I would have gone with that one first.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back