Cloudy water help

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup

55gal FOWLR for now. Would like to add anemone and some basic coral in the future
9 months old
2 AQ 110 HOB is only filtration…only media is sponge, ceramic and charcoal
About 80lbs live rock/60 lbs live sand
2 pumps moving about 1500gph total
2 Clowns
1 YWG
1 Firefish
A few invertebrates

I feed pellets in am and brine in evening

I’m pretty sure I have gotten past the ugly stage as far as the rocks and and sand are concerned but for the past 4-6 weeks I have been battling cloudy water.

I have pretty much just been trying more frequent water changes and patience but nothing seems to be working.

Hanna Test Results
Nitrate- 16.2
Phosphate- 0.05
dKH- 8.0

Fish are doing fine.

I am thinking about adding a UV filter. Thoughts, or a different route?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the cloudiness is caused by living organisms in the water then it could help, but you would likely not be addressing the root of the problem. There are multiple paths forward, but you may want to consider adding additional filtration such as a Tunze DOC series skimmer or even a canister filter (certainly not everyone's recommended option). Good luck with whatever you choose!

Supvnek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an algae bloom and installed a UV sterilizer. Within 48 hrs, I had clean water. Just know that the uv sterilizer will raise the temperature of the water a degree or 2.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just had an algae bloom and installed a UV sterilizer. Within 48 hrs, I had clean water. Just know that the uv sterilizer will raise the temperature of the water a degree or 2.
In both your case and the case of the initial question above it is helpful to consider is why the algae bloom happen and was anything done to correct that issue? There are certainly times to use a UV either in the short term or long term, but it is usually helpful to understand why the algae bloom happen and prevent it before it needs to be managed with a UV.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In both your case and the case of the initial question above it is helpful to consider is why the algae bloom happen and was anything done to correct that issue? There are certainly times to use a UV either in the short term or long term, but it is usually helpful to understand why the algae bloom happen and prevent it before it needs to be managed with a UV.
So true

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I’d make sure surface agitation is good first and throw in a cap full of MB7. That’s without knowing what kind of bloom it is.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You never had a bloom without a defined cause? I’ve had a couple, both with proper Fiji live rock and dry rock in new tanks. Waiting it out didn’t work, UV sorted it.
You definitely can have an algae bloom and not be able to determine a cause. I tried to leave the space open for that potential in my previous posts, however I stand by my recommendation that it is helpful to understand why the algae bloom happened and prevent it before it needs to be managed with a UV.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Setup

55gal FOWLR for now. Would like to add anemone and some basic coral in the future
9 months old
2 AQ 110 HOB is only filtration…only media is sponge, ceramic and charcoal
About 80lbs live rock/60 lbs live sand
2 pumps moving about 1500gph total
2 Clowns
1 YWG
1 Firefish
A few invertebrates

I feed pellets in am and brine in evening

I’m pretty sure I have gotten past the ugly stage as far as the rocks and and sand are concerned but for the past 4-6 weeks I have been battling cloudy water.

I have pretty much just been trying more frequent water changes and patience but nothing seems to be working.

Hanna Test Results
Nitrate- 16.2
Phosphate- 0.05
dKH- 8.0

Fish are doing fine.

I am thinking about adding a UV filter. Thoughts, or a different route?
Please post pic(s) of tank under white lighting.
Hard to recommend anything until seen as algae bloom can derive from many aspects as would bacterial. Algae can be as simple as lighting, filtration and even filters in which the 110 units are mechanical and there may be a lack in biological filtration

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely can have an algae bloom and not be able to determine a cause. I tried to leave the space open for that potential in my previous posts, however I stand by my recommendation that it is helpful to understand why the algae bloom happened and prevent it before it needs to be managed with a UV.
Dunno if you’ve seen my quarantine thread thingy where I’ve added vinegar causing a bloom to reduce ammonia, but in that bloom I know exactly what’s causing it. I had a photosynthetic bloom in my dry rock start up that was beyond my comprehension, it certainly was not due to wayward parameters, i nuked it. Sorted.

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pic(s) of tank under white lighting.
Hard to recommend anything until seen as algae bloom can derive from many aspects as would bacterial. Algae can be as simple as lighting, filtration and even filters in which the 110 units are mechanical and there may be a lack in biological filtration

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 34

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. Well, this is an algae bloom. Pics speak a thousand words. Thank you and this is easier to picture now and is both surface/film algae and algae bloom. Some questions below in Bold. . . . .
The film algae itself is likely caused by a few suspects listed below. This will take a few days to defeat but some items to address are :
Filtration : you have a Non-reef ready tank and are using basic filtration with use of power filter The issue with using power filter is that it is your primary source of filtration which is mechanical and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to mange proper water quality. The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples.
You are lacking some forms of necessary filtration. A hang on back refugium, even a hang on skimmer such as Ice cap K1or K2 series will work flawlessly and help with overall waste removal.

Lighting: This looks like it may be a basic strip light but what light are you actually using ? Is it one in which you are able to adjust intensities?

Water: Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Additional light: Is this tank by chance at or near a window?

Phosphate: How are you testing phosphate? Normally with this level of algae, you will have a level of phosphate that is elevated- Not lower

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Well, this is an algae bloom. Pics speak a thousand words. Thank you and this is easier to picture now and is both surface/film algae and algae bloom. Some questions below in Bold. . . . .
The film algae itself is likely caused by a few suspects listed below. This will take a few days to defeat but some items to address are :
Filtration : you have a Non-reef ready tank and are using basic filtration with use of power filter The issue with using power filter is that it is your primary source of filtration which is mechanical and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to mange proper water quality. The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples.
You are lacking some forms of necessary filtration. A hang on back refugium, even a hang on skimmer such as Ice cap K1or K2 series will work flawlessly and help with overall waste removal.

Lighting: This looks like it may be a basic strip light but what light are you actually using ? Is it one in which you are able to adjust intensities?

Water: Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Additional light: Is this tank by chance at or near a window?

Phosphate: How are you testing phosphate? Normally with this level of algae, you will have a level of phosphate that is elevated- Not lower
I am using 2x Current Marine LED strips that I can make adjustments to blue/green/red/white intensities

I use only 0TDS RODI water for changes and top offs

It is about 5 feet from a window but not one that has any direct sunlight. It has dark blinds I could keep closed.

Phosphate is tested using a Hanna ULR…it has been as a high as 0.9 a few months ago and is currently at 0.5

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never had a bloom without a defined cause? I’ve had a couple, both with proper Fiji live rock and dry rock in new tanks. Waiting it out didn’t work, UV sorted it.
I had one very early on in my tank set up. Most likely due to unstable parameters, light and just not enough good guys in the tank yet. I just stayed the course and focused on my parameters and away it went. UV are beneficial but keep in mind they kill off bad guys and good guys in your tank that live in the water column.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back