Cloudy water problems

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria bloom can happen with overfeeding.

UV sterilizers should have recommended flow rates listed by the manufacturer. There's a range for bacteria/algae and sometimes another lower flow range for parasites. Depends on the sterilizer.

The calcium carbonate method will turn the tank white in the short term and can take awhile to clear up. If it doesn't clear you may need more mechanical filtration.

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Sadly, calcium carbonate is very hard to find, i searched all pharmacies in city... Sometime they looked me with blank eyes, they have no clue what i want, on other places they know, but all they can offer is pills, with suggar, flavour and aditives.

In some alternative shops for vegans and stuff have calcium carbonate as powder, but they claim that it cannot be mixed or diluted with water.

As far as uv goes, it says 270lph, but not refering what type sterilization is that - bacterial or parasites.

So i used 3000lph pump, dialed it down at max....hope this will help, maybe not ideal flow, but better than anything, right?

Another question, why in manual says that unit should NOT be running longer than 72 hours? Is that some limitation factor, never heard of such thing....

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight will be 48 hours of running uv at 3000lph flow, water is almost crystal clear, tank looks great....

Any advice, to reduce flow and leave it running, or?

Thanx!

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, new problem, really need advice.

Uv cleared the water, crystal clear, but my skimmer keeps producin white clean foam, so dense and sticky, almost like cotton candy, very little water is in it, so string that foam lifts collection cup lid and starts creeping on outside of skimmer.

So strong that you can use spoon to get some from cup and then throw spoon on floor and foam still remain on spoon. :)

Is that skimmer clearing the bacteria from water or something else, what can i do, its really problematic to clean cup every two hours.....

Back