Cloudy Water

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been battling cloudy water for the past month, ive done water changes and RIP cleans and different filtration but nothing works. After a day of clear water it goes right back to cloudy, seems i am at a loss. UGH

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's a young tank and the cloudinessooks like diluted milk its bacteria.

It will go away on its own. Other than a uv filter you won't fix it. Just be patient.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the same situation with my new tank, sounds like a bacterial bloom. Post a pic for us to be sure.

But if its what I think it is, save yourself time and stress and get a UV ASAP. It will clear the problem very quickly (mine went from milky cloudiness to clear overnight).

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: the reason to act quickly is that the bloom will draw oxygen out of the water, so anything currently living in your tank will be oxygen starved and may die.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been battling cloudy water for the past month, ive done water changes and RIP cleans and different filtration but nothing works. After a day of clear water it goes right back to cloudy, seems i am at a loss. UGH
2 words ,,,,UV LIGHT ,,, best piece of equipment besides the protein skimmer
I run my UV 24-7 my tank is crystal clear

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the long awaited tank picture.

CAA79C2A-B781-45E7-83B1-4EC56592CCF8.jpeg
Common bacteria bloom.

The bacteria are filling the water column because there isn't enough bacterial competition established in your substrate and live rock yet. If you do a water change they just grow to fill in the void.

They will go away on their own. Leaving the light and reducing feeding will hurry the process. A UV filter will also kill them in a couple days, but isn't necessary.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an internal UV canister filter from amazon for £30 (that's about $40.) Prime next day delivery. That way you not only get a UV steriliser you also get extra filtration and it has a bubble nozzle for oxygenation.

I know most marine aquarists don't use canister filters but they work perfectly for me and I am very used to cleaning and doing maintenance on them after decades of freshwater tanks. I suggest you add one then remove it if you want once it's cleared. Then keep it as part of your emergency equipment if it happens again.

I would add one sooner rather than later or you will start losing tank organisms as the bacteria use up the oxygen.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have to do emergency action to reduce the cloudiness but I would try to find the route of the cause. Bacterial bloom Usually indicates over feeling and non efficient filtering system. Since you have small tank with maybe 2 fish in there do a 75 percent water change add beneficial bacteria like dying Tim’s or microbacter 7.
uv can start after a few days if above doesn’t work. You can’t dose bacterial products and have uv.
also stop feeding for 2 days and even after give very small amount.
get an external skimmer and maybe a hang on refugium

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change and have the AA Green Killing Machine coming in this Saturday. Cleaned gravel, rock and siphoned. Hopefully this works

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I've set up a lot of salt and FW tanks over the past 30 years and I would say 75% of them go through this phase. I've never seen fish or any other organism react negatively to it, although some softies might curl up a bit.

I've also stopped running UV on my tanks because after long periods of use it tends to produce diatom blooms resistant to it. For parasites though UV rocks. For algae control you cant beat proper husbandry or macros, IMO.

Back