Clove a goner? First coral

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tldr: clove got bombarded, recoverable? Eggs after a clean dip?

So I went to a different LFS yesterday to get my first coral, my normal shop is remodeling and doesn't have a big selection right now. Everytime I go to this other shop the owner confuses the hell out of me. Anywho I ended up with a clove.

He suggested revive for dip but told me to only do 4-5 minutes and then just stick it in the tank because he has a long aquaculture and quarantine process.

So I did the dip, totally clean. Poped it in the tank and immediately my hermits swarm it and knock it off the rock and pummel it into the sand, then my aptasia filefish starts chomping on it. It had 4 heads, three nearly flat ones at the bottem and the one long one you see in the picture I just took.

You guys think it can recover? And you think that little white dot on the side of the plug on the left is anything of concern? Under normal lights I couldn't see it, as soon as it was under blues I see 3 of those little dots.

20210725_131420.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tldr: clove got bombarded, recoverable? Eggs after a clean dip?

So I went to a different LFS yesterday to get my first coral, my normal shop is remodeling and doesn't have a big selection right now. Everytime I go to this other shop the owner confuses the hell out of me. Anywho I ended up with a clove.

He suggested revive for dip but told me to only do 4-5 minutes and then just stick it in the tank because he has a long aquaculture and quarantine process.

So I did the dip, totally clean. Poped it in the tank and immediately my hermits swarm it and knock it off the rock and pummel it into the sand, then my aptasia filefish starts chomping on it. It had 4 heads, three nearly flat ones at the bottem and the one long one you see in the picture I just took.

You guys think it can recover? And you think that little white dot on the side of the plug on the left is anything of concern? Under normal lights I couldn't see it, as soon as it was under blues I see 3 of those little dots.

20210725_131420.jpg
They are pretty resilient but your guys gave it a rough welcome; hopefully they leave it alone. Still has life imho

OP
OP
RoboRabbit89

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully it seems they have lost interest. I was so angry. Was using my grabber to nab them and drop em on the other side of the tank and they sprinted back!

Now I'm just paranoid about those dots. Haha

Thanks for the reply!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up on it - cloves are very hardy. My first clove went dormant for a month or two. Now look at it 1 1/2 years later. Also added a firework clove.

895DE997-8002-446A-8AE1-B8394F2F205F.jpeg

74E5713D-4DCE-4B01-B13D-847BC4D26032.jpeg

OP
OP
RoboRabbit89

RoboRabbit89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the aiptasia file knows he's not supposed to chomp it because he hovers near it when I'm around as if to say "look I'm not eating it", but when I'm not it seems like he has been taking more chomps here and there and now the three little heads have completely shrunk off and disappeared. I've still got the one stalk, so I'll leave it. I'll test the aiptasia file with another cheap coral in a week or two and if he destroys another one he's gonna have to go in my spare tank until I actually have aiptasia. Acts like he doesn't get a ton of food otherwise...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back