Clove polyps?

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering adding some clove polyps to my reef. TSA has some interesting frags of them. Anything specific I need to look out for with them? Can they overtake similar to gps or xenia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive have many. Papaya version is the prettiest . Similar requirements as with xenia- moderate light and flow. They’re fairly hardy

ReefGeek90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anyone know if cloves will take over like xenia or GSP? Thinking about getting some like OP. TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bump. Anyone know if cloves will take over like xenia or GSP? Thinking about getting some like OP. TIA
They don't grow as fast and I have a nice colony and it does Not spread. Maybe a stray here or there.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag if rainbow polyps. Mine are fine for now and actually still a small population. However when they were multiplying they added heads fast.

Another thing about them that I have not seen mentioned is that mine are "walking" away from their original location. By walking I mean that they seem to be reabsorbing polyps on the right side of the colony and regrowing them on the left. The total number of polyps hasn't increased for some time but the colony has moved about 4 inches across the rock work. I assume it's moving in a direction with more favorable conditions.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps can, if they like the conditions, spread quickly. That's not a bad thing, really... just something to be aware of.

I picked up some fireworks polyps at a recent show... I'm _hoping_ they grow and spread rapidly. I put the frag between the rock and the rear wall of my peninsula. AFAIC, it can cover that entire area.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Papaya cloves are stunning. Just got them, so no growth info yet. The neon green ones are not as happy. Probably where they are in the tank and they kept getting moved and knocked over. I hope they do spread, but not known yet.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag if rainbow polyps. Mine are fine for now and actually still a small population. However when they were multiplying they added heads fast.

Another thing about them that I have not seen mentioned is that mine are "walking" away from their original location. By walking I mean that they seem to be reabsorbing polyps on the right side of the colony and regrowing them on the left. The total number of polyps hasn't increased for some time but the colony has moved about 4 inches across the rock work. I assume it's moving in a direction with more favorable conditions.
Oh man, thats cool. Kinda like a slow clove amoeba. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that locomotion type

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back