Clown fish attacking Bicolor Angel

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’m new at R2R and this is my first post, so bare with me please. I have a 60 gallon community fish/ reef tank set up. There are a variety of “peaceful” community fish in the tank, and the tank has been doing fine for about 6 months now. The problem I’m having currently is that three black and white Ocellaris Clowns started aggressively attacking a Bicolor Angel today. These tank mates have been cohabiting since day one without any problems and suddenly the clowns began aggressively attacking the angel. Anyone have any suggestions as to what’s going on here, and/or how to remedy the situation? Thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Sorry for your problems. Clowns can be real jerks.

Unfortunately, when this happens the options are pretty limited. You could try re-arranging the rocks in your tank a bit. Especially if you can create 2 unlinked areas where clowns are likely to claim one part of the tank that the bicolor may learn to avoid..

If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to rehome the bicolor or the clowns. My recommendation would be the bicolor as 60 gallon is usually too small for them and they tend to be one of the more difficult dwarf angels to keep especially when there’s aggression.

Good luck!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Unfortunately, when this happens the options are pretty limited. You could try re-arranging the rocks in your tank a bit. Especially if you can create 2 unlinked areas where clowns are likely to claim one part of the tank that the bicolor may learn to avoid..

If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to rehome the bicolor or the clowns. My recommendation would be the bicolor as 60 gallon is usually too small for them and they tend to be one of the more difficult dwarf angels to keep especially when there’s aggression.

Good luck!

This, plus watch the clowns carefully if you keep them. The aggression is probably occurring because two of the Occelaris Clowns are maturing into a pair. They are most likely going to turn on the third clown once the angel is removed....

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck!
I was afraid that might be the case. This just happened overnight, these fish have been together for about six months. Frustrating!

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, plus watch the clowns carefully if you keep them. The aggression is probably occurring because two of the Occelaris Clowns are maturing into a pair. They are most likely going to turn on the third clown once the angel is removed....
The clowns have been together for over a year and a half. How long do they take to mature? From what I’ve been reading, I’m starting to wonder if keeping clowns in a community tank is a good idea?
Thanks

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the biggest lies told is the idea of a "Peaceful" Clownfish (they are Damsels after all). They are all territorial/semi-aggressive to some degree once they get well established. I agree it's highly unlikely to improve in that situation and the odd number of clowns is going to cause you problems as well. I had a snowflake Occellaris Clownfish that was a complete jerk to it's tank mates and likely contributed to the death of both my Scissortail and Purple Firefish. My Melanurus Wrasse and Diamond Watchman Goby didn't put up with the little punk and the Wrasse spent a day kicking the crap out of the little brat of a clownfish (and it deserved every bit of it). I ended up kicking it out of the tank because of the issues with the other two fish.

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like I might be relocating the clowns then. Thanks everyone for the great advice, I appreciate your time and experiences with this matter.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my experience that a mad clown will stay mad until you get 4ft or more away from it's territory or stay out of sight for a long time. In a 60 gallon it's going to be hard for the other fish to get far enough away for the clown to consider it out of it's territory. Best chance in a 4 ft tank is going to be put a major line of sight breaker (big rock) in the middle of the tank so they won't see it unless they go looking for it. This may allow them to make peace. But in most cases I have seen clowns will claim about 4ft of tank space. Except maroons which will claim however much you have...even a whole 8 ft tank. If they don't like you then you need to get out of their space or hide. If you are lucky they will only hate other clowns but they can hate anything they choose to hate...as they are damsels after all.

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s an update. I isolated the bicolor (until his wounds are healed) and I intend to sell him. The tank has been at peace ever since. In the near future I still plan on finding a new tank for the clowns as I have other plans for the 60 gallon. I guess I’m just lucky that the clowns aren’t currently actin up. Time will tell.

HildebrandRarity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had this happen to me as well, probubly the clwonfish are paired up and thratened by the angel

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back