Clown Fish Attacking Blue Chromis

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown fish pair that's been in my tank for over a year. I added a full adult blue chromis to the tank yesterday. Woke up this morning and the larger clown fish was going to town on the blue chromis. Ate half his tail.

I put the chromis in a little plastic cage at the moment so he would be safe from the clown fish, but I don't know what to do. Will the clown fish eventually chill out? The chromis is all sluggish now, will he heal?

Thanks!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the tank?

Clown fish and Chromis are cousins so to speak. The clowns have staked out the tank and they are not likely to allow other Damsel like fish into the system. I would use an acclimation box for future introductions. Sorry it does not sound good for the Chromis.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 85 gallons. Do you think the Chromis is doomed? Will it recover from having it's tail fin beaten up? The guy at the LFS was 100% sure it was fine to mix them. Usually a well informed LFS, ugh

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of clowns are these? I do not think the clown is going to allow the Chromis and only time will tell if the stress was too much for the Chromis.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have learned about clowns over decades of keeping them is that you can make generalizations but clowns will not adhere to them.

I have had very aggressive clowns of all types that would not even allow a shrimp into a tank.

If you decide to add other fish, it might be prudent to put the female clown in an acclimation box and mix up the scape a little to decrease initial aggression.

Last edited:

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have learned about clowns over decades of keeping them is that you can make generalizations but clowns will not adhere to them.

I have had very aggressive clowns of all types that wound not even allow a shrimp into a tank.

If you decide to add other fish, it might be prudent to put the female clown in an acclimation box and mix up the scape a little to decrease initial aggression.
LOL....I have also had the same experience over the years with clowns....so that is why I no longer nor will I ever keep any type of clown in my tank...

Yea as far as the chromis only time will tell... hopefully he will pull through...you may have to take him (or the clowns) back to the LFS though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular Ocellaris

Don't you just love how the websites all claim that Occ Clowns are Peaceful. All clownfish are Semi-Aggressive/Territorial to some extent and it's not just to other clownfish/damsels. I had to remove an aggressive snowflake occ from my old 36 gallon bowfront.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the damage is just on the fins and not all the way to the caudal peduncle the tail will heal.

Putting the clown pr in the box for a few days often helps let new fish get established without aggression.

maroma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Damsel Fish - every time I feed shoots around like a bulletin eating always been healthy. Added 2 clown fish a week ago today noticed it was shy not eating like usual. what are your thoughts.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Damsel Fish - every time I feed shoots around like a bulletin eating always been healthy. Added 2 clown fish a week ago today noticed it was shy not eating like usual. what are your thoughts.
What kind of damsel? What size tank? Have you noticed any aggression? Is there any damage?

Back