Clown Fish bullying new melanurus wrasse...:(

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday afternoon I added a melanurus wrasse, royal gramma, and a cleaner wrasse.

At first, all the fish were kinda suspicious of the new fish. Some pecking ensued and the cleaner wrasse I guess hid in the sand for a good part of the day. The royal gramma found a nice cave the moment he went in and has been chilling around his cave since yesterday.

Now the poor melanurus wrasse is stuck in a corner. Every time he comes down or tries to move away from the corner the clowns go after him. It's killing me knowing that this melanurus wrasse just wants to explore the tank but these 2 clowns are being jerks. Now im having a hard time catching the clowns. But the wrasse I can catch since hes just chilling near the surface.... so im thinking maybe I should catch the wrasse put him in the sump for the day and try and scoop the clowns later on. The wrasse looks stressed and I dont want to leave him.

I will be getting rid of these clowns when this is all over but what is everyone's thoughts?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flavor of clownfish? Usually melanurus wrasses are what I consider fairly bold fish. They can be skittish to new surroundings, and will go to sand for a few days (at least). IME after the adjustment and settling, they are out and about like clockwork. Give it a few days before you pull anyone.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flavor of clownfish? Usually melanurus wrasses are what I consider fairly bold fish. They can be skittish to new surroundings, and will go to sand for a few days (at least). IME after the adjustment and settling, they are out and about like clockwork. Give it a few days before you pull anyone.
So last night the wrasse went into the sand at lights out but the cleaner went in the sand early during the day. As you can see in the picture where the wrasse is.

Should I turn the lights off for the day? I’m afraid the wrasse will die from stress or jump out

Attachments

• 72D86B18-EAB1-4260-A1D8-338315808F1B.jpeg
    72D86B18-EAB1-4260-A1D8-338315808F1B.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 4B5633C3-E484-4983-BDC5-21C856763F9F.jpeg
    4B5633C3-E484-4983-BDC5-21C856763F9F.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 48

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others may think differently, but I'm not big on altering habitat when introducing fish. I'd just say keep the lights on as usual and observe. If things go south, then react as necessary. How big is your display?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday afternoon I added a melanurus wrasse, royal gramma, and a cleaner wrasse.

At first, all the fish were kinda suspicious of the new fish. Some pecking ensued and the cleaner wrasse I guess hid in the sand for a good part of the day. The royal gramma found a nice cave the moment he went in and has been chilling around his cave since yesterday.

Now the poor melanurus wrasse is stuck in a corner. Every time he comes down or tries to move away from the corner the clowns go after him. It's killing me knowing that this melanurus wrasse just wants to explore the tank but these 2 clowns are being jerks. Now im having a hard time catching the clowns. But the wrasse I can catch since hes just chilling near the surface.... so im thinking maybe I should catch the wrasse put him in the sump for the day and try and scoop the clowns later on. The wrasse looks stressed and I dont want to leave him.

I will be getting rid of these clowns when this is all over but what is everyone's thoughts?

Clowns are nasty when they become female. The only things I've had work in the past are to either move the clowns to their own tank, or completely rearrange the tank so that they have to claim territories all over again.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others may think differently, but I'm not big on altering habitat when introducing fish. I'd just say keep the lights on as usual and observe. If things go south, then react as necessary. How big is your display?
80G display 25g sump. I'm afraid things might go south quickly. This is the main reason why I don't add fish to my tanks because I hate seeing aggression.
Clowns are nasty when they become female. The only things I've had work in the past are to either move the clowns to their own tank, or completely rearrange the tank so that they have to claim territories all over again.
Unfriendly I cannot do that. I do have 2 male and female.'

My gut and my wife is saying sump the clowns....

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Tried to catch them for an hour and failed.

So I added a mirror to the glass and I think it helped divert some of that aggression toward the glass...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Throw a mirror up

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back