Clown fish dorsal bump

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda put my foot In my mouth here. After posting last night, discussing how my clowns have always seemed healthy, I wake up this morning to find the female has this little ball like protrusion on the tip of her first dorsal spine. With no other lesions or symptoms that I’ve noticed, I’m not really sure what it is. Hard to get a good look at it, kind of looks like a tiny bubble in the skin. Hopefully at least one of these pictures is good enough.
5F504064-8681-4867-827B-644FCAD7B850.jpeg
FC6C90F5-08C6-411F-B2D6-8084B9711550.jpeg
438AC152-1A3C-4466-BC22-6CE9270B79A4.jpeg

In the time it’s taken me to type this, the spot momentarily changed in appearance. For about twenty seconds, there was some orangish color around the base of the bubble, and then it changed back to the original gray color. Hmm. I tried to get another picture of it but I’m not sure if you will be able to see what I’m talking about.
BC8EE519-C901-4238-83CE-B4A9620BE40F.jpeg

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only two fish that have ever been in this tank, and I’ve had them approximately six weeks. Doesn’t look like there’s any bacterial infection. Only thing I can think of is parasite or abrasion. Doesn’t look typical of ich to me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only two fish that have ever been in this tank, and I’ve had them approximately six weeks. Doesn’t look like there’s any bacterial infection. Only thing I can think of is parasite or abrasion. Doesn’t look typical of ich to me.
You're right, it isn't ich. Tough to say exactly what it is, but not any of the routine parasites. May just be an injury. Any corals that could have stung it? Does it interact with the other clown?

Jay

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, it isn't ich. Tough to say exactly what it is, but not any of the routine parasites. May just be an injury. Any corals that could have stung it? Does it interact with the other clown?

Jay
It has been picking at the hammer the last couple days. I was considering that, but didn’t know if they could actually be injured by it. There is also a small torch, and a small Favites pentagona frag. They’re a bonded pair as far as I can tell. The fish in question would be the female. Nothing out of the ordinary, but if anyone were being bullied it’s the other one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been picking at the hammer the last couple days. I was considering that, but didn’t know if they could actually be injured by it. There is also a small torch, and a small Favites pentagona frag. They’re a bonded pair as far as I can tell. The fish in question would be the female. Nothing out of the ordinary, but if anyone were being bullied it’s the other one.

It really is an unlikely spot for either a coral sting or a bite from another fish. It also isn't a symptom of any of the common diseases. I don't have a possible treatment to offer. I would just watch it for how.

Jay

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is an unlikely spot for either a coral sting or a bite from another fish. It also isn't a symptom of any of the common diseases. I don't have a possible treatment to offer. I would just watch it for how.

Jay
That’s the plan for now, thanks Jay!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back