Clown Fish keep disappearing!

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guy's, thanks for letting me join. This is my first post so hope I'm doing this right?
I moved up from tropical to Marine about 2 months ago I started Small so got a TMC30 Nano second hand, the tank is not 12 months old but it has been set up since Dec 2014 it came with live rock and some pulsating Zena and a couple of Zoas, I've adhered to 10% water change every week and test 1 - 2 times a week, Amonia 0 - 0.25 with nitrite and nitrate negligible phosphate 0 Saltinite 1.020 - 1.022, PH 8.2, I have in the tank two clown fish literally the size of a large thumb nail, a red scooter blenney 3/4" a spotted psycadellic mandarin same size and clean up crew cleaner shrimp, blue striped leg hermit crab two turbo snails and two Nassarius snails, I had the clowns on their own at first then one disappeared it was eating swimming and looked fine, could not find it so got a replacement from same shop and tank, no problem for a month then same again, it's not in the rear chamber, or outside the tank I have taken the top live rock off and looked underneath but nothing I have a Duncan coral but was told it won't be that and a green tipped Nem but didn't have that when the first one vanished!

image.jpeg

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got something nasty in all that live rock. Might need to pull it all out and do a freshwater dip

scottrik77802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is hard to say why the clown disappeared it simply could have gotten itself stuck if it died the shrimp and any hermits tore it to peaces really quick they are on top of that kind of thing. what is your temp at and what kind of filtration are you running

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to R2R! Have you noticed any spots or heavy breathing on/with the fish that have disappeared? You may, also, want to look for a hichhiker like a mantis shrimp. Keep a look out for that!

scottrik77802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont recommend a freshwater dip because then you take all your live rock (which can easily be rinsed out in other ways) and you make it dead rock giving you little ability to have anything properly live in your tank

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There are a few things that will need tweaked for a successful long term reef but to adress your missing fish I would put my money on a something hiding in the rock. Those are tiny clowns and would make a nice snack. Best thing is to watch the tank after lights out.

California Reef Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef.

First off you've got to learn one major principle which all reefers should live by. Patience is essential in this hobby.

Take your time to read up on helpful reef keeping threads and most importantly ask as many questions as possible.

Check out the threads at the top of this forum. It should really help!
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/

This website is full of informative helpful people who've kept reef tanks successfully long term. All of us have ran into typical reef keeping issues and would love to inform others on how to avoid/deal with common problems encountered in this hobby.

Okay let's tackle some of your problems
Your ammonia and nitrite should read zero. You should have enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia/nitrite into less toxic forms (Nitrate). Remember, anything decaying or dying releases nitrogenous wastes and possibly phosphorous waste into your tank.

If you plan on keeping stony corals, your reef tank should have a salinity specific gravity of 1.025-1.026. At this salinity, most salt mixes contain the appropriate alkalinity, calcium, magnesium levels to sustain corals.

Unfortunately, your clownfish is most likely dead. Sometimes they die and wedge themselves into a rock. It might also be possible that the clownfish jumped out and is behind the tank on the floor or your pet dog/cat ate or moved it somewhere else.

The third possibility is you have some sort of fisheating invertebrate living in those rocks. Since your tank is small you could take out the rock and dip it into a coral pest dip like Revive or CoralRX.

That coral on the bottom left is without a doubt, a duncan coral.

Remember, patience and learning is key in this hobby, so ask as many questions as you can.

Good luck,
Team CRC

Last edited:

Jenaleigh1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a clownfish once out of a closed tank. It had jumped out of the tiny gap between the top and the glass, then flopped back behind the tank and I found it completely dehydrated behind there about a month later. You never know.

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is hard to say why the clown disappeared it simply could have gotten itself stuck if it died the shrimp and any hermits tore it to peaces really quick they are on top of that kind of thing. what is your temp at and what kind of filtration are you running

Hi the temp is bertwwen 27 - 28 deg C the filtration is the standard that came with the tank (small pump in back comp drawing through ten aping blocks again standard, I added a bag of phoseEx and two pieces of white filter media either side of bag, plus a small power head ,you might see it to the top left of photo

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got something nasty in all that live rock. Might need to pull it all out and do a freshwater dip
Hi there! Welcome to R2R! Have you noticed any spots or heavy breathing on/with the fish that have disappeared? You may, also, want to look for a hichhiker like a mantis shrimp. Keep a look out for that!

Hi no nothing they were both fine eating well, took the rock in half last night it's in two pieces and did a good clean and water change but noticed nothing, will keep looking

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Do you have any kind of lid on your tank? It's possible that your fish jumped.

Hi yes it has a condensation lid standard with tank it has s small gap and s hole in the middle, I did think it was a possibility after the first one and perhaps one of our dogs thought hmmmm! But they weren't in the room over night this time and as its only a small tank I can completely slide it out on its stand, and found nothing,

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There are a few things that will need tweaked for a successful long term reef but to adress your missing fish I would put my money on a something hiding in the rock. Those are tiny clowns and would make a nice snack. Best thing is to watch the tank after lights out.
Hi, I'm starting to think along the same lines not sure what as in the light day and blue they never went really close to the rocks just in the flow, I did notice this (not a good photo attached) it was about 1cm in length translucent with bright green triangle marks could have been points but don't know if friend or fore not seen it since!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef.

First off you've got to learn one major principle which all reefers should live by. Patience is essential in this hobby.

Take your time to read up on helpful reef keeping threads and most importantly ask as many questions as possible.

Check out the threads at the top of this forum. It should really help!
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/

This website is full of informative helpful people who've kept reef tanks successfully long term. All of us have ran into typical reef keeping issues and would love to inform others on how to avoid/deal with common problems encountered in this hobby.

Okay let's tackle some of your problems
Your ammonia and nitrite should read zero. You should have enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia/nitrite into less toxic forms (Nitrate). Remember, anything decaying or dying releases nitrogenous wastes and possibly phosphorous waste into your tank.

If you plan on keeping stony corals, your reef tank should have a salinity specific gravity of 1.025-1.026. At this salinity, most salt mixes contain the appropriate alkalinity, calcium, magnesium levels to sustain corals.

Unfortunately, your clownfish is most likely dead. Sometimes they die and wedge themselves into a rock. It might also be possible that the clownfish jumped out and is behind the tank on the floor or your pet dog/cat ate or moved it somewhere else.

The third possibility is you have some sort of fisheating invertebrate living in those rocks. Since your tank is small you could take out the rock and dip it into a coral pest dip like Revive or CoralRX.

That coral on the bottom left is without a doubt, a duncan coral.

Remember, patience and learning is key in this hobby, so ask as many questions as you can.

Good luck,
Team CRC
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and comments looking like one of my better ideas joining this group Just one more question if I may? Going to try the lights out and watch option, lights out in tank what about leaving TV on with no room lights ok or black out and a red light to view?
Thanks again,

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red light would be your best option. You will be amazed at what comes out of a reef at dark

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, I am new to this as well and one of of my first losses was my clown fish, after 2 days of glaring at my fish wondering who did him in I saw something small and shriveled up and there he was , behind the cabinet, after that I bought a top for my aquarium . And by the way everyone here has been so helpful and welcoming! Enjoy

OP
OP
Rob Ashall

Rob Ashall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody not sure if this is good news or not... Whilst having a fish tank morning (wife's out shopping) pulled my cabinet out for a third time to get better access to zap some aiptasia and found a dried out clown fish How he managed to get between the condensation lid and the edge of the tank I don't know (Steve Maqueen would have been proud!) although my tank and clowns are both nano! At least I've not got a preditor or nasty in the tank just need to fill the gaps or even make a better fitting condensation lid than the standard one, once again thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody not sure if this is good news or not... Whilst having a fish tank morning (wife's out shopping) pulled my cabinet out for a third time to get better access to zap some aiptasia and found a dried out clown fish How he managed to get between the condensation lid and the edge of the tank I don't know (Steve Maqueen would have been proud!) although my tank and clowns are both nano! At least I've not got a preditor or nasty in the tank just need to fill the gaps or even make a better fitting condensation lid than the standard one, once again thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
Poor guy or girl, at least you know it wasn't something in your tank I am going to try to add another clown to my tank on Tuesday, captive bred from the same place I got the last one. Crossing my fingers they will get along. It's a fun but stressful hobby. I have a freshwater tank with dwarf puffers, they say they are hard to keep, well so far they are much easier but I enjoy both tanks , probably to much.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @Rob Ashall !* Generally speaking most corals will not eat clown fish.Some anemones will,but the variety you have should be safe.I am glad you found at least one of your clown fish.I would suggest using plastic canvas or a similar screen over the tiny hole.You want a little ventilation.Regarding your possible pest photo,it looks like a coral.Could you get a better picture,is it hard underneath?

DSCF8242_zps5797234_edit_1424182792330_zpsv82rzoa_edit_1426280392421.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back