Clown Fish not doing well

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a new pair of Clarkii Clowns today and we brought them home and they were acting fine at first. They ate during feed time, were swimming around the whole tank. We did a water change this morning before they went in. Just recently they started acting really strange, laying down on the ground, swimming upside down, breathing heavy. We dosed with SeaChem Prime to help. Our Goby and Pistol shrimp, anemone, corals, hermits, snails look perfect. They are now in a bucket of RO/DI water with a heater and a sponge filter. We have had a pair of clowns that died of a fungus, but the store told us it was a slime coat issue and couldn't be given to any new clowns we put into the tank. Any advice is appreciated.

Water Parameters:
Nitrates: 10 PPM
Nitrites: 0.25 PPM
Ammonia: 0.25 PPM
Salinity: 1.025 SG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am suspicious of the clowns dying of a fungal issue. I can't remember a single instance in the thousands of threads I have replied to where a clownfish (or any marine fish in the hobby) had a fungal infection. They are extremely rare and I and suspecting the tank has brook.

Also, is the sponge filter from a cycled tank? If not, they are going to get some ammonia issues quicky. You would need some rock or biomedia in there with them.

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a good picture of them at the moment because of the container they are in. I am not 100% sure they said fungus, but they told us it couldn't transfer to our other clownfish. I am unfamiliar with what brook is?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, how long ago did clowns pass ?
showing any signs ??
pic in a clear jar or short video ,will help experts tremendously .

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about brook for the last 30ish minutes I would have to say that is what it is. The clowns that passed looked like a lot of the brook pictures I am seeing, and they passed 3 or 4 weeks ago. These clowns still look good, they are swimming in their bucket. I am prepping a freshwater dip for them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To eliminate it from the tank, you are going to need to set up a QT and use something like paraguard to eliminate it.

If there is absolutely 0 possibility of you setting up a QT tank and doing the full process for eliminating brook, then I would get ruby reef rally pro and use that in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post pics and describe any symptoms such as heavy breathing, lethargic behavior, white poop, etc and post pics under white lighting
Not sure any assessments are being made with pics and symptoms

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back