Clown fish with swim bladder diseases

OchoaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning I picked up this golden nugget clown fish. And it appears he has a swim bladder disease. Is there any way to cure or help this fish?

Attachments

• IMG_1285.MOV
    26.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good morning I picked up this golden nugget clown fish. And it appears he has a swim bladder disease. Is there any way to cure or help this fish?
The clowns appear to be struggling against current and the fish in question seems to have a fat stomach region suggesting either air or constipation. If you are feeding pellets exclusively, may vouch for constipation. Try feeding Brine shrmp which acts as a laxative and would help if constipation.
If bladder, that they have to and should release on their own. I would reduce current slightly within tank

OP
OP
O

OchoaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns appear to be struggling against current and the fish in question seems to have a fat stomach region suggesting either air or constipation. If you are feeding pellets exclusively, may vouch for constipation. Try feeding Brine shrmp which acts as a laxative and would help if constipation.
If bladder, that they have to and should release on their own. I would reduce current slightly within tank
Thank you for the information
We are feeding mysis and the only current in the tank is from the return pump. This fish has been like this since Friday

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the information
We are feeding mysis and the only current in the tank is from the return pump. This fish has been like this since Friday
If its eating try brine shrimp and even flake to see if it will help absorb and pass food that may be slow to digest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think eating brine shrimp will help a swim bladder issue - instead - patience - and waiting - is probably the recommendation - If not - treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic in a hospital tank - such as kanamycin or neomycin. IF its 'constipation' - not sure why it would be - brine shrimp may help - however - its not clear exactly what the issue is

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 80% of the “swim bladder” issues we see here are not that. This appears to be gas in the digestive system, the swelling seems too low in the abdomen to be the swim bladder.
Treatment? Tough to say. If it is gas build up due to bacteria, not sure what you can do. If it is a severe blockage, again, not much you can do….feeding peas is a freshwater goldfish remedy. Epsom salts in the water is also just a freshwater treatment. Is the fish still eating? You could make up food with 3% Epsom salts in it, that might help.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back